Upgrade Swap Question (I know there's a thousand of these)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TaterToT, Jun 14, 2010.

1. TaterToT macrumors 6502

Alright so I mentioned to my sister about the new iPhone coming out and she still has the old 2g so of course she's ready for an upgrade, and last year I upgraded to the iPhone 3gs. I wasn't available for an upgrade at the time I got the 3gs so I tried to use my mom's upgrade but they had all these issues with it because it wasn't an iPhone plan and they just ended up using my sisters because it was easier or something. So now I'm upgrade eligible, my sister isn't, but my mom is. She's trying to use my upgrade because she thinks using my mom's won't work because of what happened last year and told me if I know that for sure then why don't I just use my mom's upgrade and she use mine, but that would be retarded and unnecessary.

Can anyone confirm that you can do an upgrade swap with a person in the same family plan that does not have an iPhone plan?

Thanks for the help

2. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

you can do an upgrade swap with any line iPhone or not.

3. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Bakakage macrumors 6502

Yeah, you use your own upgrade and then your sisters uses your moms, there shouldn't any problems with that.

5. TaterToT thread starter macrumors 6502

And she'll just have to call AT&T before she connects it to iTunes, correct?

6. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I'm not eligible, but my mom is, so I'm using her upgrade. She doesn't have an iPhone though. Will they still allow the upgrade swap?

7. iBLAKEE macrumors 6502

Yes I'm doing this also with my moms line.
    How are you ordering your phone?

8. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Apple.com and I'm having it delivered to the house.

9. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I'm doing one with my moms line, the manager just told me to bring me credit card tomorrow.

10. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I'm using my moms as well and I'm preordering through at&t for instore pickup. Id rather the sales rep take care of everything rather then me call them.

11. tnisatard macrumors 6502

i have a question, im in the same boat as most of you guys, how are you gonna deal with the microsim card thing?

the sim card that comes in the mail will be for your upgraded line, not your line right?

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Answered in the Upgrade Guide

13. Bakakage macrumors 6502

You would have to presumably call at&t to make the switch.

14. njd911 macrumors newbie

I'm a bit confused. I too will be using someone else's upgrade within my family plan. How will this work when preordering online via apple.com? Do I type in my phone number or the one who's upgrade I am using? Could someone please clarify, because I don't want to have the new contract/plan on the wrong line. If I were to use the number of the person who's upgrade I am using, would it be easy to sort out any confusion with At&t after getting the phone?

15. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

3. UPGRADE SWAP - Can I use someone else's upgrade? Yes, this is called an "upgrade swap". If you perform this in an AT&T store, they will handle it all for you. Apple should be able to as well, but they will need to contact AT&T during the process.

If you prefer to order online, place your order for the phone using the line(s) that has an available upgrade. If this line currently has no data plan, you may need to add a data plan (just choose the cheapest as you will be removing it later.) Once the phone(s) arrive contact AT&T to let them know that you will be activating the phone(s) on another line (performing an "upgrade swap"). (If you had to add a data plan, have them remove it at this time as well.) Once AT&T has reassociated the SIM with the correct line, connect the phone to iTunes to complete the activation. DONE!

This process does not affect your unlimited data plan.

16. tnisatard macrumors 6502

cool thanks, so AT&T has the ability to switch the phone information on the sim card with another wirelessly?

17. PaulieORF macrumors regular

When pre-ordering you'll have to order it for the phone number of the upgrade eligible line, otherwise you'll pay more. As far as activating it on your line once you get it, it seems there's a bit of uncertainty here. Some people say that you will run through the AT&T activation wizard in iTunes which lets you specify the line, plan, etc. that the phone is activated on. Others are saying you have to call AT&T and let them know what you are doing before you connect to iTunes.

18. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

The manager told me they just have to phone customer service, and they can switch the lines so its ready when it ships.

19. cmcclure16 macrumors regular

I thought you could just connect the phone to iTunes and put in your own number instead of the number under the upgrade?

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I thought so too, but I've been corrected by someone that I feel confident knows for sure.

21. ScottBGKY macrumors member

I'm using my son's upgrade to purchase an iPhone 4 for me. My line is a company owned line for a Enterprise smartphone. I've always popped my SIM card out of my company phone and put it in my iPhone then changed the APN settings to get data working. I'm wondering if AT&T will transfer my number to the Micro-SIM or if I'm gonna need to cut my current SIM down to size?

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Good chance your account admin or an authorized contact might have to be involved to transfer the number to the micro-sim. Easier just to cut it.

23. ScottBGKY macrumors member

Thanks Geckotek. I read the upgrade guide and didn't see an answer. My account admin is never any help so I'll just cut the sim down. Rumor is my company is going to all iPhones in December for AT&T folks and Android phones for the Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint folks. We shall see.