Upgrade swap question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jman13, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Jman13 macrumors 68000

For those who have done an upgrade swap, I've got a question:

My iPhone 5 comes tomorrow, and it was an upgrade on my wife's line. She's getting my 4S and we've sold her 4.

When the 5 comes, can I call AT&T before I do anything with the phone and have them activate the nano-SIM that comes with the phone under my number, or is that SIM already tied to her number, and I would need to get my own Nano-SIM from AT&T?

If I can just call before activating and have them activate it on my line, that would save a lot of headaches.

2. kodek macrumors member

Subscribed. I'm also interested to find out about this.

Btw, last year, I just went to the store and asked for new sim cards. It was relatively quick, but still a hassle.

3. RSully, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  4. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

now i understand why people get mad at this question lol. Theres three of this question on the first two pages.

5. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

6. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

im only giving you a hard time because people gave me a hard time for the same question a few days ago. Heres what you do.

So here is the "official" response:

ATT: ok i am going to let you see what i am reading. it explains it better than i can. Its still so new to us.
    ATT : Verify the customer has the pre-installed SIM in the new device.*
    ATT: Verify the customer has powered on the device, but has not completed the device activation process (unbrick).
    ATT: Power iPhone on.
    ATT: After choosing desired network, iPhone processes the initial activation. This may take up to one minute.
    ATT: iPhone asks to confirm the wireless number used to upgrade the device.
    ATT: If the customer wants to activate on a separate wireless number, select No.
    ATT: Selecting Yes deactivates the wireless number the order was placed on and results in a burnt SIM.
    ATT: Enter the wireless number the customer wishes the iPhone to be activated on and proceed with the activation process.
    ATT: Perform an ICCID and IMEI change on the line that is receiving the iPhone.
    ATT: Add a qualifying iPhone data plan.
    ATT: Swapping of Unlimited Data plans is not allowed. Customers must select from currently available plans.
    ATT: Following departmental guidelines, attempt a test call.
    ATT: *If the customer had already removed the SIM card that was pre-installed with the new device and attempted to activate with a different SIM, follow the process below:
    ATT: Advise the customer that they must obtain a new SIM to complete the activation.
    ATT: Place the new SIM into the iPhone and complete the activation steps listed above.
    ATT: The customer may need an additional SIM to process.
    ATT: Technically i wasnt supposed to do that so please do not put that out in public

7. astral125 macrumors 6502

Lol

8. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

I hope this is accurate! I went into the AT&T store yesterday to ask, and they said i HAVE to come into the store and can't do it over the phone because they need to activate the line I used for the upgrade, then give me a new nano sim for my number :eek: Pain in the butt!

9. jeffm5690 macrumors regular

That AT&T thread is exactly what was send to me through the AT&T chat. He sent me exactly what the reps were given as the flowsheet for tomorrow.

10. Inkobah macrumors newbie

This part scares me as it makes it sound like you'll lose your unlimited plan. I was planning on purchasing an iPhone 5 on a fresh line and then transferring the upgrade to my line. Anyone able to confirm or deny? Thanks.

11. jeffm5690 macrumors regular

As I posted on another thread... The plan is linked to the line NOT the device. What they are saying is you can't take the other person's data package.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The unlimited data plan is tied to a LINE/PHONE NUMBER.

It is not tied to the phone. You can move phones around all day long.

As reported here a few thousand times, and a few dozen this afternoon.

13. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

just to be safe, i plan to activate the phone on my wife's account, then go to the store get a new nano sim for my account put it in iphone 5, then activate a new microSIM card on my wifes account and put in her new (old) iphone 4S.

its a pain, but it will ensure i dont lose my unlimited!

14. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Our AT&T stores are similar, both full of idiots. I've contacted AT&T through their chat several times to verify before I go stand in line. I had the last lady I chatted with note my account. She confirmed you can upgrade a line WITHOUT activating the phone. Just upgrade the line DO NOT activate the sim. Then tell them to activate the sim on your number/account.