Upgrade swap questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poose22, Dec 19, 2012.

1. poose22 macrumors member

I am using my moms upgrade eligibility to get an iphone 5 for my girlfriend for christmas. I will not be turning the phone on as it can cause problems with the swap process. What I am wondering is:

- When I call ATT and have them do the swap to my girlfriends line, will her old iphone 4 be deactivated right then and there? Or will it deactivate when she turns on the iphone 5 and does the activation on the phone on christmas?

- And I plan on buying the iphone 5 from Best Buy and have it "not activated" when buying it. I can still have ATT do the upgrade swap even though I bought it from Best Buy, correct?

I tried getting a hold of ATT, and was unsuccessful today, so I wanted to ask here. Thanks in advance.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Aslong as they don't activate it when you buy it you should be fine. Make sure you get a nano sim for your girlfriends line and have it ready to be activated on Christmas.

3. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

In reality, you don't have to wait to open it and turn it on. Unlike CDMA model phones, your AT&T similar can be moved around as often as you please soblong as its a similar device. I believe if you get it from best buy, they will turn it on right there and actiave it under your moms line dice you are using her upgrade. I think its part of their SOP if you want the upgrade price. You might want to turn it on to make sure it works too. Nothing like getting a gift and but having it work.

Either way, its a non issue since you will need AT&T to get you a new nanosim so you can stick it in fir your GF. All you have to do is give AT&T a call and they will get everything set up in no time.