Upgrade Swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xTRIGGER092x, Sep 8, 2013.

1. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

I'm thinking of getting a 5S but I'm not eligible for an upgrade, so I'm thinking about using a family member's upgrade. I did this for the 4S, but it was a nightmare; I did it over the phone and it took hours to work out, had to open up the transferor's phone and all. So, I'm hesitant to do it this time.

What are the details regarding this? Can I order the iPhone online (if so, is the process any different from an Apple or AT&T order)? Will I lose my unlimited plan?

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Easiest way:

Go in store and tell them you'd like to use an upgrade from a different line. The process is much better now than before. They will process the upgrade on their line, but the device will be activated on your line. Both apple and AT&T stores can do this easily. I'm not sure about other carriers. I've done it at both locations.

Summary: go in store.

3. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

4. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

Last year I did the same thing. But instead of moving the upgrade I simply did thee upgrade for the eligible phone. Activated it and got it set up. Then went to an AT&T store and had my number ported to a new nano SIM card. Put the new card in the 5 and activated a new miniS for the original older phone.

Worked with no worried about inadvertent unlimited cancellation

5. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

^^^^This. You wont lose your unlimited data plan because as long as the account is active you should be fine.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You could always just buy the phone online with the line you want to use the upgrade on. When you get the phone, just go to an ATT store and tell them you want to use the iPhone on your line instead of the one that was upgraded. This method may work, but I'd still do the whole thing at the store.

7. i4Collin macrumors regular

I did the same thing with the 4S. I just preordered it on the family member's line. Then we took it to the AT&T store and had it activated on my line. We were in and out in less than 10 minutes. I try to stay away from over the phone stuff with large companies, the majority of them could care less.