Upgrade time - getting itchy feet and tired of waiting for news

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hermes Monster, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

That's right, another one of these threads! I've been told by Vodafone I can now upgrade from my iPhone4 and I'm seriously considering the HTC Sensation - the thing is a beast!

I did this last year as well, got the Desire and regretted it - the difference this time though? Apples lack of news on the next iPhone, or the lack of leaked news should I say. All rumours point to a iPhone4S, possibly a slimmer(!) iPhone, better camera and slightly faster. This update would be fine coming from a dumb phone, but I don't feel this is a significant upgrade to tie me in to another contract - which will likely have to be 24m judging by the way the providers are going. I'm really craving the larger screen and frankly something a bit different.

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone and have had all of them, but I feel apple is just not keeping up, or rather not setting the pace as they once did.

Anyone else sick of waiting or thinking of jumping ship?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Whats with this need to have to upgrade?

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

"Slightly" faster. Lol. Stupid. Dual core plus dual gpu=fk ton faster

4. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Dude, with the fricking A5 Processor, your already on your way to faster and graphic hardware.... Did you not see the benchmarks for the iPad 2??? There were fricking crazy... I think you should just upgrade to the 4S/5.... :)

5. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Why not upgrade? I've always done since mobile phones came out, I used to do it every few months so going over a year is a stretch for me! ;)

6. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Do you know that for a fact? I'm aware of the rumours but it makes no difference. It's a mobile phone, put a sandy bridge i7 in there for all I care, the screen size and input method means illmonly ever be loading angry birds faster

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Until Apple announces the next iPhone, no one knows anything as a fact (including your slightly faster remark in your OP), right now everyone is just speculating.

8. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Agreed, as I said, I've read the rumours but my point is that the speed of the phone isn't a massive selling point for me.

And as you say no one knows anything for sure yet, which grinds my gears, the phone should be released in the next month or so, and no one knows what form it will take. I know it's the apple way, but sometimes it would be nice to know what's coming.

9. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

This cycle has been particularly painful due to the extra delay. People are chomping at the bit for the next magical iPhone but will be sorely dissapoined when the 5 drops with only a new chip and upgraded camera and a whole lotta faith put in IOS5 (which, frankly isn't blowing me away either).

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

ohhhhh, the pain. Apple does make you suffer so.

people are silly.

11. mjstaceyuofm macrumors newbie

Dude... move away from the ledge! Seriously - I'd wait. At best we're only talking another 4 weeks; at worst another 8-10 weeks. Apple WILL be coming out with a new phone sometime in the next month or two. During their recent earnings report conference call on Tuesday they acknowledged a shift in their release schedule for iOS devices to September... It's gonna happen. Who knows what the phone(s) will look like or be, but they'll definitely be some new devices then.

Seriously, an HTC phone? POS if you ask me. I don't care how big the screen is. The OS sucks and it feels lame in your hand. Wait for the next iPhone. You said it yourself - you regretted the jump you made last year. Don't do it.

12. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Dude just hang on for a little longer. Judging by the past updates i think the iphone will come out in September. If you have an Iphone 4 now it's more than good enough to tie you over for a couple of months. :cool:

I did this between the 3g and the 3gs and got an Lg phone. I won't do that again lol!

13. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Apple in the past has always either met the standard or surpassed it. Even at an incremental upgrade, the next iPhone will impress many and continue to innovate not only through hardware, but also with its software and user experience. They may be taking longer this time around, but it's not unlike Apple to work on their own schedule, ignoring what they may have done in the past in order to bring an amazing product to market.

Simply put, scratch your feet(so they'll stop itching) and wait with the rest of us. We're all restless and excited too.

14. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

The real question is what makes you think THIS android phone will be better than the last one you tried? I just tried out an Atrix 2 months ago and I came back. You'll do the same...

15. Centient macrumors 6502

It's a common refrain. Want to try something new (totally understandable). Excited about a new 'killer' Android device. Try said Android for a couple of months. Sell Android. Buy another iPhone.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but to date it seems that none of the Android manufacturer's have put out a device that really rivals the iPhone and the iOS experience. Not saying they are bad devices. Just on paper they all seem great, but then don't seem coalesce in the exciting way that many expect them to.

16. eddieaus macrumors regular

i'm definitely jumping ship if the new iPhone has the same old screen size. reading PDF magazines on my 3GS is a pain. 4" or larger is the only option for me. Saw the Samsung Galaxy S2, that screen is brilliant! Samsung probably would never let Apple use AMOLED Plus on iPhone though.

17. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

I agree with what everyone is saying, I can see both sides of the argument.

I've played with the Sensation in the store (not a great test I know) and the aluminium frame, curved glass qHD screen all looked and felt amazing, and the new HTC sense skin was very smooth. The main draw back for android for me is the app store, it wasn't a patch on apples, but there has been a lot of progress from what I can tell.

As mentioned above, Apple appear to be putting their faith in iOS5 rather than the hardware, and from what I can see it appears to be mimicking android and a lot or hacks from the jailbreak crowd.

Also selling now would mean getting a much better sale value than when the next iPhone comes out.:p

Sigh I'm still undecided!! I may even just get a rolling monthly contract and save myself a small fortune!

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

You don't know that, it may be faster but doubt it is loads faster.

19. Hermes Monster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Indeed.

I think of it in terms of the iPad vs iPad2 - on paper, the iPad2 is faster than the iPad, but using my grandparents iPad2 (they're cool right? ;)) I can't say I really notice the difference to my iPad.

20. i4Collin macrumors regular

I'm very tempted to upgrade to an HTC Inspire 4G*, but i'm just going to wait for an iPhone 5

21. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

It's funny how people criticize Apple for releasing products every year, and now we have people arguing about how the next iPhone refresh has not come upon us yet. :)

22. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Isn't this rumors always the spelling of rumors?

Does rumoursalso have the same definition?

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

R u serious?

If so, one is 'merican' and other is British.;)

24. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Does it really matter? :D It's just localization.

25. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

If you could wait for N9.....:p

The things that make me seriously consider it is the same fluidity as iOS, the button less UI and gesture controls. So nice. I wish apple had put gestures in iPhone already and did away with the home button, but some people like it. Even then the ipad2 navigation is so fluid and intuitive using those multi-touch gestures. And N9 with no buttons and slim profile looks like a worthy symbian takeover yet elop wants it dead.

I am an engineering student and while I tinker away with stuff and liked android customization in the beginning, it quickly became more a chore than something I would appreciate. Btw software that is elegant and has easy to use features is considered to be the ultimate goal in engineering development, not something that is a mess and "looks" powerful.