Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slickmacke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
So...I've searched all over this forum about getting some help with this issue, but haven't been able to find anything.

I waited to upgrade to 2.1 till this morning after I read that everything was "ok" with it. So it took forever to upgrade my iphone and after it was complete it showed that I had no music or videos but had 6 gigs worth of "other". It won't let me sync it up because it doesn't have enough room.

What happened?? I have tried to restore it, but it just keeps coming up with that setup. I don't really want to clear out my entire memory because of all of my contacts. I don't know how to just back up my contacts.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

tucker101uk

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Sussex, UK
If I was you, I would back up my contacts to the windows address book (if using XP?) and then perform a hard erase on the iPhone...

My g/f has had this on her iPod Touch a while ago, when iTunes threw a wobbler and decided to resync all her music, and move the existing music into the "other" catagory...

drw

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
This exact same thing happened to me yesterday. After a sync, I had over 3GB of "other", and it reduced my available space from 3.5 GB to 500 mb.....

I did some research and this is a known issue- I tried everything I could think of but the only way I could fix it was to do a restore. I restored from backup and when the process was finished my "other" was back to normal.........

Very disappointing- these are the kinds of bugs I was hoping 2.1 would fix, but I guess not....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.