Upgrade to 3GS in February or wait until June with a glitchy iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DizzyBee, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. DizzyBee macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    I'm in need of a bit of advice about my current situation. My iPhone 3G contract ends in February, and I was originally planning on changing my plan to PAYG and buying the next model in June. However, recently I'm experiencing some slight niggles with my phone;

    1) It doesn't vibrate any more, which means I keep missing calls and texts.

    2) The volume turns itself up and down of it's own accord, very annoying when I'm listening to my iPod.

    3) The screen goes haywire when I try to unlock the phone. I spent about 5 minutes trying to get into the damn thing last night, I couldn't drag the slider past the halfway point because the screen kept switching itself off! It also tries to shut down the phone by itself by bringing up the 'Slide to power off' screen.

    I've tried a full restore but it hasn't helped in the slightest.

    The phone is now out of it's 1 year warranty. The big question is, do I continue until June with the phone as it is, or do I buy a 3GS in January and miss out on the June update? Unfortunately at this point, it is impossible to say what the June update might bring and whether it would be worth the wait.

    Many thanks in advance,

    DizzyBee
     
  2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    #2
    There might be no update at all. If you are experiencing problems get the new model now, then if there is an update next year sell your current phone and buy the new one. Problem solved.
     
  3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #3
    Apple might let you pay a reduced amount for an out-of-warranty replacement. You should be able to get at least that if you sell your now new 3G in June. This won't extend your contract.

    Your other option is to buy a cheap 2G to tide you over till then. Which is what I did a couple of months before the GS was released.
     
  4. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

    01jamcon

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #4
    I definitely would wait for the new one, its more than likely that something will come out in June, that'll hopefully be substantially better than the 3gs. If your current one is playing up too much, you could either try paying for a replacement (without extending the contract obv) or live without and get a cheap throwaway phone for a few months.
     
  5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

    STEVESKI07

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2009
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #5
    I would pay the $200 for an out of warranty replacement and get a refurbished 3G. This way you can still use your upgrade to the new one this summer and you can sell your 3G which will only be 4 months old so you should be able to get at least your $200 back.
     
  6. ksoze macrumors regular

    ksoze

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #6
    There will always be a new one and the time between is unpredictable with technology. Still would have a 128K Mac if waiting for the next version. I have seen no reliable source that confirms a new phone in June nor how it is different and would decide on how you want to spend the unknown time between models that may or not occur. I also suspect the success of the Androis assault will effect what and when changes occur - many of which do not need to be hardware.
     
  7. zoomin6 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2009
    #7
    There will always be a "NEW" one coming out....I just got my 3Gs today and I am in love with it, I upgraded my 2G earlier this year to a Nokia E71x (great phone) and now that the 3Gs has a few features that my 2G lacked, I got it :)

    I missed having the iPhone but got tired of the 2G not having a few things normally all other phones have.

    I would say upgrade in February, you'll be in the same boat as I will if a new one comes out next summer...if I decide I'll want to get the new one next year, I'll sell my 3Gs for $500-600 or perhaps for more on ebay, and with that I can add a little bit to get the newer iPhone next year at retail price.

    GL with what ever it is you choose to do!

    Walter.
     

Share This Page