Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studmule

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
So I tried to upgrade my iphone 4 from 4.1 to 4.2.1 since the untethered jailbreak is out. I used tinyumbrella to preserve my baseband. The update seems to go ok, I get the status bar on the phone and then it switches to recovery mode. This is where, with 4.1, I would use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery. Well tinyumbrella won't kick it out of recovery. The phone reboots, but goes back to the recovery screen. I downgraded back to 4.1, and tinyumbrella is able to kick it out of recovery on 4.1, but not on 4.2.1. Any thoughts? I tried a couple different cable and computers.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
Interesting...
I'm on 4.1 with my iPhone 4 right now and I was going to do this same thing last night. I'm glad I held off. Hopefully someone knows what's going on.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
So I tried to upgrade my iphone 4 from 4.1 to 4.2.1 since the untethered jailbreak is out. I used tinyumbrella to preserve my baseband. The update seems to go ok, I get the status bar on the phone and then it switches to recovery mode. This is where, with 4.1, I would use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery. Well tinyumbrella won't kick it out of recovery. The phone reboots, but goes back to the recovery screen. I downgraded back to 4.1, and tinyumbrella is able to kick it out of recovery on 4.1, but not on 4.2.1. Any thoughts? I tried a couple different cable and computers.

I'm assuming you have an iphone 4 since you haven't said.

Go back to 4.2.1 and use greenpoison to get you out of recovery.

Learn more here: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009

I had the same issue as you. I used TU to get out of recovery by highlighting 4.2.1 saved SHSH & then kicking out of recovery. Make sure SHSH server is on before restoring to 4.2.1 via iTunes.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I did say in my first sentence that it's an iPhone 4. I didn't realize that greenpois0n could help me get it out of recovery. I will try that tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Cool! I just joined the I don't bother to read crowd today.

My bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.