Upgrade to IOS 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macbook-pro, Aug 14, 2013.

1. macbook-pro macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm looking for some assistance in upgrading to IOS 6. I have an IPhone 4 with IOS 4.1(8B117) baseband 02.10.04 that I used with Simple Mobile. However, I port it out my simple mobile number to H20 wireless. The porting was done free of hassle. Now when i put in my H20 sim card, i get a one bar or No Service. Do I have to preserved my baseband and update the IOS? Will someone direct me on the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

To update just plug your phone into your computer, fire up iTunes and click update. Thats it. iTunes will load up the correct version.

The fact its not recognising a sim card from a new supplier is most likely because the phone is locked to your previous carrier. You need to speak to them to get them to unlock it.

Updating is still a good idea as your version of iOS is seriously out of date.

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am not so sure if its a good idea in all cases. I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 6 on it - and it lags on every action, compared to what it was, when it was new and on iOS 4 and 5. If the OP is not being forced to upgrade by a must-have app that's iOS limited, and is using the phone happily with the apps (s)he already has, then I would say keep going on the operating system the iPhone 4 shipped with.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You don't need to unlock or preserve your baseband if you're using H2O on an AT&T locked iphone. It uses AT&T's cell towers so you'd be fine connecting.
    You can just restore to the latest 6.1.3
    Make sure you turn 3G on so you're not stuck on Edge.

5. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

if it's an AT&T iPhone you can easily unlock it for a few dollars, and then you won't need to worry about basebands.

EDIT:

As Applejuiced said, just update it. H2O uses att's towers.