iPhone 11 Pro Upgrade to IOS13 on my existing phone before trading it in?

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Hi

I am picking up my new phone tomorrow at the Apple Store and trading in my existing phone.

Is there any advantage to upgrade my existing phone to IOS 13, tonight, before trading it in? Will that shorten the time to set up my new phone?

Thanks
- - Post merged: - -

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
I would advise NO if your phones are on IOS which is jailbreakable. :)

swandy

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Wouldn't bother. You can set up from an iOS 12 backup just fine tomorrow. It will add to the new feeling 🤣
Are you sure about this because the new iPhones will have 13 and in he past you could not restore from a backup made with an older iOS version from what I remember. I just updated my XS and my wife’s 8 Plus in preparation of going to the Apple store tomorrow morning.

johnyslats

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Leeds, UK
Are you sure about this because the new iPhones will have 13 and in he past you could not restore from a backup made with an older iOS version from what I remember. I just updated my XS and my wife’s 8 Plus in preparation of going to the Apple store tomorrow morning.
Absolutely, I suspect most will be jumping from iOS 12 on their old device to 13 on their new one. It's the other way around that's the problem (eg, 13.1 beta to 13.0 out of the box)

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
If your backup is from an earlier iOS version (iOS 12) than the one installed on your new iPhone, (iOS 13) you won't be able to restore the new iPhone from backup because the new phone isnt allowed to run iOS 12.

So to answer your question; Yes, install iOS 13 on your old iPhone before backing it up so that your new iPhone can use that backup (if you want to do that)

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Yes if you want to restore from a back up. Made the mistake before of not updating and I couldn’t restore from an older backup.

my mistake... I think I had a beta version on the old phone which was a newer OS than the new phone.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I would just update it, back it up in iCloud, encrypt a backup on my mac, then turn it in.
That's my theory, too. I'll do an encrypted iTunes backup and an iCloud backup tonight or tomorrow morning and probably take my Mac with me since I expected the store wifi will be j-a-m-m-e-d.

I think it's the other way around. You can restore from a lower version to a higher version, but not from a higher to lower.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If your backup is from an earlier iOS version (iOS 12) than the one installed on your new iPhone, (iOS 13) you won't be able to restore the new iPhone from backup because the new phone isnt allowed to run iOS 12.

So to answer your question; Yes, install iOS 13 on your old iPhone before backing it up so that your new iPhone can use that backup (if you want to do that)
not true, it’s the other way around. You can restore a backup from an older version of iOS to a phone running a newer version.

what you couldn’t do is create a backup on iOS 13 and restore that to a phone running iOS 12.

OP, it makes no difference for you either way.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Hi

I am picking up my new phone tomorrow at the Apple Store and trading in my existing phone.

Is there any advantage to upgrade my existing phone to IOS 13, tonight, before trading it in? Will that shorten the time to set up my new phone?

Thanks
Wait - you can hand old phone in at the store? I wasn’t given that option. Have to wait for a kit to be mailed to me.