Upgrade to new MBP with SL NOW or wait for New MBP and Lion LATER

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kirkhartstudios, Aug 26, 2011.

  1. kirkhartstudios macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #1
    Hi all, I'm a student in college and I've had my Macbook Pro since 2006. It currently is at version 10.5.8 and I've got a wonderful work flow going with Spaces when I edit videos, DeeJay events, design websites, etc. The computer is still going VERY strong so I have no other reason to buy a new one except for the fact that video rendering is getting quit slow and my computer cannot handle the 1080p HD video files I work with.

    At my nearby college Apple store I can buy a brand new MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz/i7/4GB Ram/750GB hard drive/Glossy Screen with Snow Leopard at 10.6.8. They have not yet received new laptops with lion preinstalled. So this is my last chance to get a computer without lion and preserve my workflow. Should I go for it?

    I've used Lion. It's great. I hate mission control though. And some of my programs are not ready for it yet. I'm also not sure on Adobe Creative Suite CS5. Thing is, I know a better MBP is coming out next year. So I don't know if this is a waste of my time and money when I could wait and get a newer, faster computer (gasp maybe without a DVD drive). Suggestions? Remember, this will be my computer for the next 4 years. Thanks!
     
  2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

    drewsof07

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #2
    For me, the deciding factor would be how much video work you are doing. If it is costing you $$ and you *need* it, justify the cost and buy it. If it's just not as fast as you would *want* I would wait for the revision.
     
  3. kirkhartstudios, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

    kirkhartstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #3
    I'm working on a documentary now and will be doing another in Spring 2012. Everything is fine because all the footage is 1280x720 and the computer can handle it (very slow renders though). So honestly I don't *need* the new computer yet. It's a *want*. I *want* to have a faster computer. My heart definitely says wait for the new and better option but then I know I will have to totally convert to Lion. The only other issue is with my new Canon 60D everything I shoot now is 1080p and the only way I can edit it is through another computer.
     
  4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

    nateo200

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2009
    Location:
    Northern District NY
    #4
    Dude I have a Canon 550D and I can honestly say 1080p is sick but is a b**** to deal with on anything less than my 2010 MBP 13" which still lags behind what I would like. Trust me it may seam like a little speed boost when you first start working on a faster computer but you'll quickly realize that your getting videos put together allot faster!
     
  5. kirkhartstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #5
    I know! I shoot all 1080p now but I can't edit it now on my laptop! I always have to down convert the footage to 1280x720 and then edit. So I know I can definitely make use of this upgrade, I'm just not sure if I should wait until next February or so for another release. At this point in time I don't have a Lion "workflow" yet that I'm comfortable with on my friends iMac so that's why I like the idea of still getting a laptop with Snow Leopard so I can continue to work the way have have for the last 4 years.
     
  6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

    killerrobot

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #6
    Is not having Lion the hang-up here? If you buy a new MBP right now you can upgrade to Lion for free: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

    If the hang-up is that there's a new MBP coming out next year, well, that'll always be the case.

    To me it seems like you need it to do 1080 video, and I'd recommend going for it. You don't have to use mission control, and CS5 runs perfectly on Lion. I'd hope the i7 processors can handle the next four years as well as your Core (2) Duo did.
     
  7. kirkhartstudios, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

    kirkhartstudios thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2011
    #7
    For me getting Lion is not the hangup. I don't want it at this point. These are essentially my two options with pros/cons:

    Buy MBP 10.6.8 Now
    • Finally able to work with 1080p video after 4yrs wait
    • Faster processor, i7
    • Still has Snow Leopard intact with Spaces for workflow
    • Has thunderbolt, so I'm good with the new upcoming hard drives
    • I finally get the app store!
    • All my apps will still work as some aren't ready for Lion
    • I can upgrade to Lion whenever I see fit

    Buy MBP Feb 2012
    • Probably faster computer
    • Possibly no disk drive
    • I must fully convert over to Lion, there is no going back
    • Since I won't be buying this in store, I can upgrade my screen to be something other than the standard glossy version
    • I won't be a student then, so no more discounts

    I think it's almost beneficial to buy one now. Then I can continue working during school at my apartment and not always have to visit the labs where faster computers are available. Plus I can keep Snow Leopard! And yes, I sure hope it can last as long as 4 yrs like my old Pro. That thing is still going strong.
     
  8. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

    ThirtyThr33

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Location:
    Boulder, Colorado
    #8
    Get MBP now, with Lion. It's worth it I promise
     

Share This Page