Resolved Upgrade to new Series 4 watch with older watchOS release. Any concerns?

toohectic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
I just received a new-in-box Nike Series 4 that likely has some variant of watchOS 5 on it. I am currently using a Series 1 on the latest watchOS 6 release and plan to transfer all of my data and achievements to the new Series 4 watch. Given that I wont be able to update to watchOS6 until after I pair my new Series 4 to my phone, are there any precautions or procedure I need to take to ensure my data is properly transferred from my old watch and not lost? Maybe it's more straight forward than I think, but figured I'd reach out for insight if necessary. The older watchOS is the only part that potentially worries me.

FenC

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
I think it will force you to upgrade as part of the pairing process before it lets you choose a backup to restore from.

I had a S5 Nike on the latest OS when we finally got a provider to support LTE here in NZ in December. The SS I upgraded to was on an earlier version of WatchOS and it upgraded before it would complete pairing.

toohectic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
I think it will force you to upgrade as part of the pairing process before it lets you choose a backup to restore from.

I had a S5 Nike on the latest OS when we finally got a provider to support LTE here in NZ in December. The SS I upgraded to was on an earlier version of WatchOS and it upgraded before it would complete pairing.
Thanks. Finally set it up this last weekend. When I started the pairing process, I had to select a backup before I was able to start the OS update. Given that my Series1 was on a newer OS than the new-in-box Series4, I was only able to select a backup that was current or older than the current S4 OS version. In this case, it only showed a watchOS 3.1.2 backup, so I'm not sure why the available watch backup was so old. Anyway, I set it up as new watch instead and upgraded the OS after pairing was complete. Then I was able to unpair/re-pair the watch and select my proper S1 watchOS6 backup. Not quite as straight forward as possible, but glad to know it's done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.