Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demonface, May 17, 2012.

  1. Demonface macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #1
    One question I was wondering was if I should just upgrade my iPhone 4S to 5.1.1 ? I currently have 5.1 on it but since Pod2g said it might work i still dont know if I should do it. What do you guys think ? Should I upgrade or should I wait until a JB is actually released?
     
  2. Vizin, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  3. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #3
    I accidentally posted it in the wrong section . Sorry bout that.
     
  4. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #4
    Yeah I say upgrade based on this:
    Make sure you have your blobs saved though.

    Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 00.23.30.png
    https://twitter.com/#!/pod2g/status/202048308116590592

    Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 00.23.38.png
    https://twitter.com/#!/pod2g/status/202180219799482368
     
  5. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #5
  6. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #6
    TinyUmbrella but never mind, I remembered Apple stopped signing 5.1.
     
  7. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #7
    So saving my blobs wouldnt be possible?
     
  8. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #8
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think you can after Apple stops signing it. I know that you definitely can't if you're not on the iOS version you want to save blobs for but I'm not sure if it's the same if you're already on the iOS version you want to save blobs for.
     
  9. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #9
    Oh. If i try to save it and it doesnt work would that screw up my phone? and when i upgrade , upgrade through itunes and do i restore everything after or do i do a fresh installation?
     
  10. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #10
    No I guess it couldn't hurt to try.

    Yes restore through iTunes. You're best off setting up your phone as new or restoring to a backup pre-jailbreaking just to make sure nothing is left over.
     
  11. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #11
    oh okay thanks , if I ave any trouble I would ask you in a PM or on this same thread.
     
  12. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #12
    No problem. If you decide to try TinyUmbrella, make sure the option "set hosts to cydia on exit" is turned off or it won't let you restore in iTunes. You'll find this in the Advanced section.
     
  13. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #13
    TinyUmbrella didnt find anything. Im guessing its not going to work?

    EDIT: I think I might just end up waiting until the JB is released for 5.1.1. But thats the thing I'm worried about what if Apple hears that a JB is coming out and they release an new update thus making it difficult to upgrade to 5.11
     
  14. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #14
    I guess not. A jailbreak for 5.1.1 shouldn't be too far away and provided you don't install tweaks you aren't familiar with, hopefully you won't need to restore.
     
  15. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #15
    It was stated to be released in two weeks and that was on Friday the 11th . Hopefully its released next week ?

    I got the 2 Weeks timeline from members on this forum.
     
  16. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #16
    Pod2g never said 2 weeks, he said some weeks away so there's no way to know exactly when :p

    Just upgrade and sit tight.
     
  17. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #17
    should i upgrade on itunes or ota?
    if i do ota would i lose all of my data?
     
  18. 3bs macrumors 603

    3bs

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Location:
    Dublin, Ireland
    #18
    You're not jailbroken, are you?

    Doesn't make a difference but no you won't lose anything if you update OTA.
     
  19. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2012
    Location:
    Jersey/Miami
    #19
    I'm not jailbroken and ill be doing the OTA since i dont wanna lose any data.
     

Share This Page