Upgraded 3GS to 4.0.1 from 4.0 and now No Service

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Doom878, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Doom878 macrumors member

Anyone else having this problem? I upgraded to 4.0.1 late last night. When I woke up this morning no signal. I turned off 3G and Wifi, I synced it, but I haven't done a restore yet. Do I have any other options?

2. eddy64 macrumors regular

I have the exact same problem. Yesterday at work I had 5 bars of 3G service on my 3gs. I upgraded last night, then today, I have "no service".
    Absolutely rediculous. Apple tries to fix iPhone 4 owners and screws over the rest. I'm getting tired of apple's crap. get it together already.

3. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Crap, I was just thinking of finally upgrading to iOS 4 but I guess I should hold off a little longer. :rolleyes:

4. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I went to 4.0.1 on my 3GS & reception certainly seems to be a lot worse. The number of bars has always seemed a bit random to me (not unusual to have lots of bars but still not be able to do anything) but actually trying to send/received email etc seems a lot more problematic now.

Of course, this might just be O2 in the UK having a rubbish / overloaded 3G network - especially around Canary Wharf.

Still love the iPhone, but poor reception is a serious pain

5. Doom878 thread starter macrumors member

At least we don't have a 3G and went 4.0. Everyone I know with a 3G that went 4.0 got screwed. At least they can make calls.

6. eddy64 macrumors regular

to be clear, iOS 4 did not mess up my iPhone. I was using iOS 4 just fine. It was the update to 4.0.1 that messed it up. The whole change the "display bars" issue for the iPhone 4 owners has apparently somehow screwed over 3GS owners. I expected to see less bars, possibly even lack of 3G (still edge), but to lose service completely? When before I could surf the web and use iheartradio just fine? That's rediculous.

7. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

No kidding. Unfortunately, I don't think I can just upgrade to iOS 4.0, so will wait for 4.0.2. I'm about to embark on a cross-country trip, so don't want to mess with reception when I will most depend my 3GS. ;)

8. eddy64 macrumors regular

lol good call. This bug bums me out since I use my iPhone so much. My 3GS has always been so dependable and flawless. Never had an issue until now :(

9. Doom878 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed. I was relieved having bought my 3GS a week before the 4 since I got it for $97 through Apple.

10. Doom878 thread starter macrumors member

Ok fixed. I took out my sim and put it back in. I wiped it up a little.

11. eddy64 macrumors regular

OMG! You're awesome! Fixed my reception completely
    Just needed to pop it out
    Thanks!

12. Jaeto macrumors newbie

No Service 4.0

I found an easy fix for this (at least it works for me). After updating to 4.0 (3G phone) I was stuck with 'no service' no matter how many times I restarted. I never did pull the sim card, not sure if that would also work for my issue.

My fix is turn on airplane mode (settings) and then turn it right back off. After every restart I need to do this, but it works consistently. Hope some of you find this helpful!

BTW, updating to 4.0.1 did not improve the issue, but at least the fix only takes a few seconds.