Upgraded from 4S to 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Awfisch, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Awfisch macrumors member

Awfisch

I just want to hear people's opinions who upgraded from the 4S to the 5. Was it worth it for you to upgrade? Whats your favorite new feature?

2. AppleBoyFreak macrumors 6502

I upgraded yesterday and i definitely don't regret anything. For me the best feature is how slim and light the iPhone 5 is! It makes the 4S feel like a dinosaur.

3. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

4. jedi74 macrumors regular

i upgraded and its definitely worth it. favorite features are LTE and bigger screen.

5. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Same as you ^ yesterday, besides above speed advantage is very noticeable. LTE in Manhattan showed over 40kbs download near to Penn Station. my family own 4 iphones now, iphone5 is just a king among all of them. ;) Same as mine ipad3 near to 2 other older ipads we have. :)

6. apprunner macrumors regular

I've had the 3G, 4, 4S , and now 5. 4S to 5 is a HUGE upgrade in terms of browsing and network speed. It finally feels like a PC browsing experience due to the increase in speed. Definitely worth it.

7. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

The only thing I miss is the ability to dock the damn thing all over the house and in my M3 without fiddling with a cable.

8. AAPLinc, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmTBV9H7dbA

Pretty good comparison video of 4S vs 5.

As you can see, the 5 doesn't blow the 4S away. The 5 definitely loaded that game faster toward the end and was a quick step ahead in Safari, but it definitely isn't "night and day" difference like previous 4S owners say.

As they guy in the video kept saying...the 5 is "a little bit faster". Although, as you can also see in the video, the 4S beat the 5 or was even with the 5 at certain things.

I do 2 years on my phones, so the 5 is most definitely not enough of an upgrade to get rid of my 4S. Anyone who says that the 5 is a HUGE UPGRADE from the 4S is lying to themselves. Just like it wasnt worth upgrading from the 4 to the 4S.

I can wait for a bigger screen and LTE.

9. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

4S also get's panorama. The 4S actually has all the features from iOS6, as the 5, except for taking pictures while recording video, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.

11. CaCohen0509 macrumors regular

CaCohen0509

Half of those features are available on the 4S... Lol

12. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

4S has panorama.

but i don't think it comes with the purple effect though.

13. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

LTE made a big difference with sprint lol.

no purple effect either.

14. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal

My 5 doesn't have the purple effect.

15. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Consider yourself lucky. Many are complaining of "purple haze" as people are calling it. Maybe you just haven't been in the proper lighting conditions to notice it.

Even though a purple effect has been noticed amongst smart phones before. I dont really remember hearing people complaining about it with previous iPhone releases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvGmb6_Lbys

16. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Main this is...it's insanely quick. And I won't get LTE until January or February here. But it renders pages faster than my iPad 3 via wifi.

17. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

i was getting speeds compatible to my verizon fios cable internet which is 50mbs down. unfortunatly not in NJ, so far in Manhattan only.

18. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Yes - I have multiple upgrades - sell old phone for more than the new one. Thats my favorite feature.

19. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Same here...I sold my 4S for $300.00 (made a $100.00 profit) and paid just $150.00 for my iPhone 5...

20. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Do you not have 2 year contracts?

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Somebody asked the exact same thing this morning or afternoon. You should jump into that thread.

22. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I went from 4S to 5 (with Galaxy Nexus and 3GS backup in between as a tie over).

Camera seems pretty neck-in-neck, though I suppose a bit sharper and better on the 5. Also, it takes photos quickly -- less shutter lag.

Bigger, nicer screen is great, LTE is great.

The battery life seems much better than my 4S, on 5.0.1 or 5.1.1. But it probably depends on luck of the draw and your usage.

A6 seems quite a bit zippier. 1GB RAM will be appreciated.

I miss jailbreak but I'm still trying to sell a parent's 4S and it feels ancient to me at this point from a hardware standpoint.

23. swamyg1 macrumors regular

I regretted it for a couple of days... Then I got used to the i5. Now I love the i5 and would find it nearly impossible to go back. The pros outweigh the cons for sure.

24. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Of course you wouldn't want to go back. Some 4S owners just chose not to go forward, because we are either not able to upgrade/ready to upgrade/interested in upgrading.

Isn't this common sense? If I were to buy the 5, why would I go back to the 4S? When people say "I COULD NEVER GO BACK TO THE 4S" it's condescending. You're trying to make the 4S seem outdated and irrelevant. And that's completely not true. I know this happens every year, but I only upgrade every 2 years so I guess I'll never understand that mindset that people who upgrade yearly, have. I mean Christ, people held onto their iPhone 4 for the LONGEST time, PEOPLE ARE STILL singing onto 2 yr contracts with the iPhone 4. And yet the 4S is so "archaic" :rolleyes:

25. aleni macrumors 68020

i thought my 4s was already fast and the screen was already nice, boy i was wrong. the iPhone 5 is faster, really faster, especially when u open a lot of tabs in safari and browse heavy websites.

now when i look at my 4s screen, it looks like the screen is behind a glass while the 5's screen is like popping outside.

and battery life is much much better, i can squeeze 10 hours and 49 minutes of usage. what a phone!