Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerfBWH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
As the title said, I was the happy owner of a first generation iPad mini, upgraded to a Retina iPad mini as soon as I could due to the poor pixel density of the original's display - the Retina really does make a huge difference. That said, I found my first iPad mini's screen to also be relatively dull - colors had no pop, particularly not compared to my iPhone 4S (at the time).

After hearing of the gamut issue in the new Retina iPad mini, I was more than a little annoyed that my new Retina mini, which was already ordered and in the mail, would have similar issues as my original. To my surprise however, I was pleased to find that, to my eyes, my Retina mini has vastly more accurate colors than my original iPad mini.

Is it absolutely perfect? No. I agree that my iPhone's display (I now have a 5s) is still better. But it's such a giant leap from the original iPad mini that I'm a happy customer. Very thankful I didn't let all this gamut hype get to me. If you're on the fence, go for it - the Retina iPad mini's display is absolutely gorgeous in practice, if not on paper.

Worth mentioning I've got no issues with burn in nor with a yellow tint, either. Not saying that there aren't those with issues out there, but just saying I apparently got lucky.

Apple, count down one more happy customer in a sea of threads filled with complaints.

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I'm happy with mine too. It has a beautiful, problem-free screen, and 128gb storage. It's exactly what I wanted. :)

Mactroki

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2013
Paris, France
I am very happy too. The only thing I missed from the original mini is its black back. I think the antenna on the cellular version now makes the back ugly.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I just made the same upgrade, and I concur. Also, just because the retina mini screen isn't as good as the Air, doesn't mean it isn't a huge improvement over the original mini. To me, the white background of my reading app looks nicer and the colors look brighter and more pleasant on my retina mini than on my original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.