Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
So I just upgraded my MBA 2011 11' i5 from Lion to Mountain Lion. I didn't do a fresh install and just upgraded on top of Lion.

The first major issue I have is when scrolling in safari, whether zoomed in or not. It just seems laggy.

Another issue is that all software updates are now from the App Store and the interface is a little different and it seems i cannot chose what I want to upgrade and what I don't.

Another issue is that I can no longer see the time left on the battery but I can still see %.

So after about two days I see the upgrade as completely useless. I don't even know how it is different or any better than Lion.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I believe you can still individually select updates, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't accept all of them. It works similar to app updates on iOS. It's easiest to install all the updates, but you can scroll down below and select individual applications to update.

Have you activated Power Nap yet? I've found that useful.

Mountain Lion fixes some of the bugs that went unfixed in Lion. You should notice that wakes from sleep are faster than under Lion, for instance. Regarding the scrolling, I haven't noticed an issue, though I did notice that it was a little laggy the first day or so until most of my sites re-cached.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
I did notice that it was a little laggy the first day or so until most of my sites re-cached.

This... It took a while for spotlight or whatever to do it's thing. Give it a day, I also have an i5, 4GB, 11" Air and ML works much better than Lion.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
My wife and I both upgraded from SL on her 2010 MBP and my 2010 MBA and it has been a pleasant surprise. Every bit as good as SL, lots of good features we are both exploring. I dont like the battery time indicator, but that is hardly a deal breaker. Safari browsing isn't laggy at all.
I only have one major disappointment. My MBA won't connect to my NAS for TM backups using SMB. You have to have a mounted AFP share. From what I have read, this is a bug, and should be fixed in an update.

NYRangers11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
I just noticed that the mail app ls sluggish as well when scrolling from one mail to the other using the arrow keys.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I just noticed that the mail app ls sluggish as well when scrolling from one mail to the other using the arrow keys.

No lag here at all on mine, and mind you I am on a core 2 duo machine. Crisp up and down scrolling through mail using arrow keys.
Did you upgrade or clean install? I don't even try to do upgrades anymore, clean installs only.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
I installed it on top of Lion, and so far it has been working great. Maybe if I get the time I'll do a full clean install and see if it truly does make a difference.

Has there been any comparisons between Clean install and Upgrade install? With the same number of startup apps, I doubt the difference would be much if any at all.

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
My wife and I both upgraded from SL on her 2010 MBP and my 2010 MBA and it has been a pleasant surprise. Every bit as good as SL, lots of good features we are both exploring. I dont like the battery time indicator, but that is hardly a deal breaker. Safari browsing isn't laggy at all.
I only have one major disappointment. My MBA won't connect to my NAS for TM backups using SMB. You have to have a mounted AFP share. From what I have read, this is a bug, and should be fixed in an update.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it isn't a glitch. It was done for security reasons. I have the same problem with windows home server but set up a freeNAS virtual machine

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
A clean install never involves any kind of restore.

1. Format SSD.
2. Install OSX.
3. Reinstall all other software.

The "quasi-clean" install (with a migration from a Carbon Copy Clone) solved my issues. I was getting wake-from-sleep issues with Mountain Lion that a straight reinstallation didn't address.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Thats crazy. That would involve a lot of time just for a OS update/upgrade.
Restoring from a backup simply brings back all the debris the CleanInstallogists claim slows your system down. A clean install is just that, a clean install. Starting over.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Restoring from a backup simply brings back all the debris the CleanInstallogists claim slows your system down. A clean install is just that, a clean install. Starting over.

I did a proper clean install on my 2011 MBA, it runs ML perfectly. No lag, no issues.

Yes, it took a few hours to install my apps, but my machine runs like a dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.