upgraded from series 0 sport to series 3 ss

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by macdragonfl, Feb 11, 2018.

1. macdragonfl, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

When I first bought my Apple Watch over two years ago I was not sure if I would like it. I had a few nice watches and did not want to make the full investment. So I got a sport. I over a short period of time I began to wear it all of the time. I decided to upgrade to the S3 LTE Stainless version. It's so nice and feels like my finer watches. The speed, battery, the sapphire screen just feels more premium. Just curious if others have done the same or maybe went from stainless to sport?

2. mdawid macrumors regular

mdawid

I went from a SS Series 0 to a Series 3 SG Aluminum. The technology changes too quickly to justify $600 + every couple of years. I wound up buying the Series 3 due to my battery life on the Series 0 not even making it a full day anymore and that’s with minimal ‘use.’ I like the Series 3 and think the SG looks sharp. Still have the Series 0 and still wear it from time to time.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Initially I purchased the first generation sport Apple Watch when it released. Was not happy with the durability of the Ion-X Glass. I sold the sport model an upgraded to the stainless model. And the stainless model was everything I wanted and more with the weight from the 316 L stainless and the sapphire display with the protection. Given the price point is not cheap with the stainless model, it brought me much more enjoyment over the sport model and I would only purchased the stainless model from this point forward.

4. macdragonfl, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

macdragonfl thread starter macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

The weight is what I like about it the most. I really had no issues with the ion x glass. I was surprised how durable it was. I took a few good hits with it and it was fine. It has some micro scathes but to be expected on a glass screen. The composite back again had some very minor micro scratches. Some claim that dust will scratch it, that was not my experience at all. But I do like knowing both materials are stronger just in case. The sapphire screen feels nicer when you use it to me. The nice thing is the stainless feel is on par with my other regular watches. So I don't feel i've compromised but gained something, a smartwatch that performs in every way better, with more features. And a jewelry quality case.

5. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I'm planning to upgrade my S0 to an S3 GPS soon (probably see if they go on sale this weekend). My S0 is an aluminum sport, and I plan to stay with aluminum for now. The stainless steel is really beautiful and I may switch to that in the future, but my Sport has held up well. It has been worn every day since July 2015 and still looks new. I definitely prefer the look of the SS, even more so after it develops a patina of scratches (I'm funny that way, but maybe I just say that because I know I'd never polish it).

6. newellj macrumors 603

I prefer the sport precisely because it is lighter, but choice is good and it's great that you've got one that suits you so well. That must be an eye-opening upgrade! :eek: :D

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Perhaps I should adopt your mindset about the patina with the stainless steel. That’s the one thing I didn’t like about the stainless steel, was that It can scratch relatively easy, but it does give it character. I usually use a polishing cloth remove any light scratches.

8. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I have a platinum wedding band with almost 12 years of wear on it. I’ve never polished it because I’ve grown to like the look. The finish has gone from glossy to almost matte. Maybe scratches on a SS Apple Watch would bother me more at first, but maybe after awhile it would be a good match for the band!

9. macdragonfl, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

macdragonfl

My favorite regular watch is a polished stainless Bulova, both the watch and the band. It's nice to polish them once in a while. They look like new with a cape cod cloth. But you can vary the amount to come up with what works for you.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 13, 2018 ---
    The series 3 is really capable. I loaded some playlists and paired it to my car. I streamed music, made 6 calls, got home did a 45 minute workout while streaming music to my headphones. Did the same doing some chores around my home went to bed with 70% battery! I walked my dogs streaming as well for 30 minutes. It also loads apps so much faster. The camera remote was so quick. Really a worthwhile upgrade no matter which case material you chose. It also is just a fluid as my iPhone 8 which makes everything just nicer. I’m on the 4.3 beta and it runs amazing.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

It is because of this thread (and others like it) - I think waiting to buy my first AW until Series 3 was really smart. My sister has a series 1 she bought last year with free Apple gift cards she got - and although she loves the watch, it doesn't last nearly as long as mine.

Wife and I are loving our S3 GPS watches. Funny... when AW first came out, I laughed at the idea of a $300 watch that had to be charged every day and thought it was pure insanity. Now, I can't imagine not wearing one. Hopefully in a few years when I'm ready to upgrade, I can afford the aluminum or SS. Till then, I'm hoping to get 2-3 years out of this thing!

11. macdragonfl thread starter macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

I bought a aluminum watch stand that holds the charger. It's nice to have a place to put it. Charging has never been an objection because it looks so nice on the stand! I got though a day with my series 0, but I never pushed it as hard as I did the series 3. It was just an experiment to see how much I could get out of it. I'll be carrying my iPhone a lot less now.

12. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I did exactly the same as you. In fact, I could have written your post. ;)

13. willentrekin macrumors member

I upgraded from a Series 1 Sport to a Series 2 ss, and now I think I'm going to upgrade to a Series 3 Sport. While I agree that the ss looks more arguably more premium, I tend to think the Watch overall looks premium regardless of the materials, and I bumped a doorway just a couple of weeks into wearing it and got a hairline crack down my screen. I've read and seen videos that support that the IonX Sport screen is more durable (and has lower reflectance). I also feel (and this may be totally a trick of perception) like I feel the taptic feedback and vibrations better on the Sport (perhaps because it's lighter?).

14. Nell, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

Nell macrumors 6502

I went from a silver sport watch (S0) to a SS 3. I spent ages deciding as when it came to it the SS felt a bit too slick (I’m pretty scruffy) but I like the look of it and it’s nice to have a change. Don’t know which I’ll get next time; basically, I really like both silver versions.

15. macdragonfl thread starter macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

I do agree with you about the haptic feedback and yes I also believe because it’s thinner. They made the screen brighter than my series 0, so I don’t have any reflectance issues even at the pool in bright Florida sun. But I think the ion x glass is very durable. I’m just used to sapphire on my former watches so the harder feel is better for me.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The reason you can feel the taptic engine stronger on the aluminum model over the stainless model, is because the aluminum is not as dense as the stainless, which the vibrations can be felt stronger through the aluminum casing.

17. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

I’ve had both. Small benefits of the aluminum are the screen has slightly less reflections so it’s a bit more clear, sound and haptic really ring through the aluminum, and the light weightiness of the aluminum. The heavier weight of the stainless was not a negative though, just not a positive IMO. I would have wanted the sapphire to be as clear as the Ion-X, and the sound and haptic feel to ring through as well as the aluminum, but it’s not a big deal when/if I switch back to stainless.

The big deal is that I think the shiny stainless looks better, so right now I plan to get my next AW in stainless. I’ll gain back the scratch resistant of the sapphire, although so far no scratches with the Ion-X. I’ll gain back the versatility of the stainless in that almost all bands will look good with the stainless, although I’m probably all set with bands as I already have 5. Right now, I’m feeling it’s worth the extra cost for the better IMO look of shiny stainless.

18. macdragonfl, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

macdragonfl

That makes perfect sense, does the iPhone X then have the similar experience over the 8? I was comparing the two watches and the ion X glass does flex more.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Being that the iPhone X uses surgical stainless steel bands, the haptic engine feedback might feel weakened compared to an iPhone 7 that uses the 7000 series aluminum, Which resonates much stronger with the haptic engine feedback.

20. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

How can you tell the Ion-X Glass flexes more than sapphire?

21. mcarthon macrumors 6502

How did it bring you more enjoyment? Just curious.

22. macdragonfl thread starter macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

When you push the center compared side by side it feels to have more give than the sapphire. I'm comparing a series 0 ion-x to series 3 sapphire.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Apple products are expensive and an Apple Watch is no exception, starting at $600 for the stainless model. That means if I’m spending that type of money on a smart watch, I want to appreciate as much as I can, being the stainless model actually feels more like a watch with a 316 L stainless and has a nice weight to it, which brings more enjoyment to me over the sport model which I previously owned, which to me, I felt was rather cheap feeling with the aluminum model.

24. jst_testing macrumors member

I upgraded from the Series 0 to Series 3 GPS + LTE just yesterday - one day of use and can’t look back. Miles apart in terms of speeds, RAM, caching of apps. I am probably not going to use my iPhone 7 as much as much anymore, of course mostly to take photos now.