Upgraded from the Series 0 to Series 4. Am I going to notice a difference?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shenfrey, Jun 5, 2019.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I have picked up a series 4 that should be with me soon, I did it as I got some money off so thought I'd bite. Other than the difference one screen size, am I going to notice any difference?

I am moving from a SS Silver 42 to a Aluminium 44 Space Grey.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I saw a significant performance increase, especially when it comes to watchOS updates.

I also listen to a ton of podcasts in Overcast, so having that deeper integration via watchOS 5 was nice.

3. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

I went from a SS Series 0 to a SS Series 4 and I was blown away in the speed difference.
    Where a power reset on the series 0 used to take a good few minutes the series 4 does it in less than 20 seconds.
    Loading apps are now a fraction of the time.
    Being able to update from Watch OS 4 again is a remarkable improvement.

To be honest I honestly did not think I needed to upgrade but what pushed me over was not being able to use the latest Watch OS. Now I wonder why on earth it took me so long!!

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

Huge difference. Performance wise, you will want to smash series 0 and wonder how you could get away with that for so long. Feature wise, LTE (if you pick cellular model), fall detection (I like this feature but it is unavailable on series 3), new infographic watch face (series 4 and onwards only), and soon hearing protection, individual apps and a lot more in watchOS 6.

5. kohlson, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

kohlson macrumors 68000

Also, likely that you have the original battery. I upgraded from 0-3. Before, I was lucky to make it through the day on a single charge. Now I use just 1/3 of the battery each day. I like the waterproof capabilities, too.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Massive differences. And I’m not even talking about the display size already noted, the 50 m water resistance, twice the screen brightness over the first GEN watch (1000 Nits v.s 450 Nits), louder speaker, improved heart rate sensor and the Series 4 is a 64 bit architecture with the dual core processor Will provide longer support for future updates.

7. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Quite a marked difference.

I went from a S3 to S4 and I noticed the difference even then.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Like the others said, a HUGE difference. If you do not notice . . Well you would have to be dead.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

I did the same, battery life was what got me at first. Wowza, it keeps going and going! My other favorite is it being waterproof. Is in the pool at classes with me and in the shower (I’m a shower fall risk at times). Then everything else is great too!

10. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

With series 0, when i click Workout, i had plenty of time b/w clicking it and the Workout app actually becoming responsive. I love this long delay! This gave me plenty of time to take a big dump first and wash my face...and by the time i finish, the Workout app would be ready for me and off i go to do my workout.

Now, with Series 4, i don't have time to do any of that!!! It is forcing me to do the workout right away after pressing the Workout app...it's nerve racking! I feel like the watch is rushing me. I almost dread clicking the Workout app...i sweat just from thinking about clicking it and then that makes me want to take a dump even faster! What a disaster this upgrade has been!

For me, i want to go back to Series 0. Series 4 is too fast!!

11. Solver macrumors 6502a

Am I going to notice a difference?”
    Yes.