Upgraded HDD to Hitachi 7k500 7200rpm- annoying noise + vibration levels. What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Puqq, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Puqq macrumors regular

A couple days ago I upgraded my mid 2010 MBP 13 stock hdd(Hitachi 5400rpm 250gb) to a new one (Hitachi 7200rpm 500gb 7k500). I am still amazed by how much faster and more responsive system has gone.

Some change in noise/vibration was expected, but now I am starting to get a bit annoyed by vibration and HDD noise. Vibration gets on my nerves- the levels are nowhere high, but there was no vibration in my stock HDD. In addition, the noise of the system on idle has roughly doubled- both fan and HDD are humming at the same level. The system is still very quiet, but I could not help noticing it anyway. Is this normal?

I tried replacing the old HDD and found out that the problems were not present with it (=I am not likely to have made some awful mistakes putting the hard drive in). Then I tried tightening all the screws as hard as possible and putting some rubberized washers on the corners of the HDD to ensure snuggly fit. All efforts rendered no change. Are there any other methods to reduce noise and vibration?

Furthermore, I still have one day to return the 7k500 without any loss. Should I get WD Scorpio Blue 500gb instead? I have read user reports of similar problems with WD SB 640gb drives as well. Since these drives are essentially the same, I would expect similar problems with 500gb as well.

P.S. Is there any chance that the stock HDD is slightly "downclocked" by Apple? It does vibrate a lot inside external cradle. Furthermore, I tested a couple laptops in the local Apple store. Both MBP 15" and MBP 17" where equipped with 500gb 5400rpm drives. However, MBP 17" was vibrating much more than the MBP 15" (maybe MBP 17 HDD runs at its native speed to increase the performance. The increased size of 17" makes the vibration effects less annoying). The stock HDD vibrates just like the current one until after 1-2s after the power button is pressed- as if some sort of regulation kicks in after that point.

2. toxic macrumors 68000

I think that's just the nature of 7200rpm drives. my Scorpio Black is the same.

you should probably go with a 5400rpm drive if it annoys you...most of the responsiveness you're seeing is from having a new drive anyway, not because of the faster spindle speed.

3. Puqq thread starter macrumors regular

Here is comparison with 5k500. http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&devID_0=365&devID_1=355&devID_2=367&devCnt=3

It is rather surprising, that noise levels are virtually the same for all drives...

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Hmm... I just ordered this drive on newegg for $61 with rebate. When it arrives, I will let you know if I have similar results... Ok? Also, I believe I have the same system as you... :)

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

6. Nano2k macrumors regular

Sometimes some drives are kind of defective when you get them and they end up being loud and vibrating. I don't know for sure, but I guess sometimes they get bashed around a little too much during handling and shipping.
    In my opinion all you should get from a 7200hdd is a little of a woosh sound, not vibrations and crazy noise. I had this with a Segate HDD 2 months ago, first one was terrible, second one was great.

7. Puqq thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose, you are right.

I have just decided to return it. I replaced the old 5k500 250gb. What a bliss- I can't hear the PC anymore.

Can we close the thread?

8. SNAKEYES macrumors newbie

dont do the WD 500!!!

I just got the WD Blue, and have had nothing but problems. The drive would spin up and down ever couple of seconds. At first I thought nothing of it, now I found out that it has something to do with the firm ware and other problems. Theres like 200+ posts in forums that other macbook pro users have. And no all the crazy command lines that are out there, none of them fix the promblem. I would recommend going with Seagate or some other drive. :)