Upgraded Mac mini with SSD now want to restore factory settings to sell

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by addictive, Jul 26, 2017.

1. addictive macrumors regular

I have a Mac mini (late 2012) which I purchased about a year ago. I installed a SSD 960GB (from an old MacBook) and 8GB RAM. Through theses modifications it has been a really great machine.

However, now I am tending to use my MacBook Pro for everything I do and as I use it with an external display I prefer now to have only one machine rather than go between the two.

I plan to sell the Mac mini and then use the funds towards a iPad Pro.

I am looking for help and a step by step for what I need to do (restore factory settings?) to be able to sell it.

I realise I need to back up my data but what would be the next steps? I have read that SSD's are difficult to wipe or rewrite, is this true? The last thing I want to do is to back up all my data and then do something to the SSD causing it not to function.

I would like to be able to have Mac OS Sierra downloaded on this Mac mini so it will be set up for the next owner. Is this possible after I have restored it to factory settings.

Given the age of the Mac mini I believe the modified ones with a SSD go for a decent price.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

2. Audit13 macrumors 65816

Audit13

For an ssd, the maker may have a utility for securely wiping the drive. After wiping, perform an internet recovery or install the os via flash key.

3. kohlson macrumors 65816

There are several ways, ranging from using a secure delete instruction as part of the drives firmware, to reformatting the drive. All this depends on how well you want to erase things. A straightforward approach: sign out of all accounts; use disk utility to erase the drive, and write zeros (you'll need to boot from another volume); re-install MacOS. Download the installer to your "other" drive before starting.

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030