Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfonsoescn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
I just upgraded my MacBook Pro mid 2012 with a brand new Samsung SSD EVO 850(500GB) and increased RAM from 4 to 16 GB (2 Crucial Memory 8Gb cards - DDR3L-1600Mhz). Then made a clean installation of Sierra; however the computer is still very slow.

For instance if I click on any option of the Menu, it takes about 20-30 seconds to respond.

I checked the reading and writing speed of the new SSD with the Blackmagic application and it is on the 490ms, which is pretty fast: however for some reason the response is slow.

I also checked if the memory is properly recognized and it is displaying the two cards of 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3.

What else can be done to speed it up? Is the Sierra OS making it too slow?

Regards,

Alfonso

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Do you have an external it USB 3 enclosure? If yes, out the ssd into the enclosure and boot from that to see if it's any faster. If yes, it could be that your hard drive cable is failing.

I have installed SSDs into two different 13" early 2011 Macbooks and they are quick with Sierra.

Reactions: ZapNZs

alfonsoescn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Do you have an external it USB 3 enclosure? If yes, out the ssd into the enclosure and boot from that to see if it's any faster. If yes, it could be that your hard drive cable is failing.

I have installed SSDs into two different 13" early 2011 Macbooks and they are quick with Sierra.
I already ran the test with the SSD connected via an USD 3.0 and boot from it. The MacBook was very fast in deed. So, this confirms the hard drive cable is failing. It will need to be replaced. Thanks very much for your hint.
Regards,

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Your Macbook may be covered by apple for the sata cable replacement so I recommend taking it to an apple store if you are close to one.

Glad you were able to solve the mystery.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.