Upgraded! MBA -> rMBPro got a steal of a deal!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TRC-WA, Jan 3, 2015.

1. TRC-WA, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

TRC-WA macrumors regular

I've had my 13" MBAir 128GB about 16 months. No complaints at all, it's been a solid laptop.

I'd like to pass it down to the girlfriend who is using a Sony Vaio and get a rMBPro... I don't much care about the storage because I store my data on my 2TB ATC, but the 15" retina would be a nice upgrade. I'd probably go with 256GB.

Beyond that, is the performance upgrade worth it? Or should I wait? I mostly use it for personal web surfing and amateur photo/video editing... with occasional AutoCAD for work.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

AutoCAD would benefit from the i7 in the 15".

Go for it, you'll love the screen size.

3. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    For work, I had been using a 2011 13" mba, which I really liked for its portability, but as my eyes aren't getting better over the years I moved to a 15" rmbp last year, which is certainly not portable in the same way that the mba is, but it's much more powerful and the screen is a knockout.

If you don't need the storage space, save your money on that upgrade. Getting the base unit is generally a good bet for resale years from now, or it could be another hand-me-down when you're ready to upgrade.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree with yichua. Sounds like you'd profit from the 15"

5. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I agree with everyone so far. I just switched from an 11' Mid 2013 MBA to a 15' current model rMBP and I love it. Yes, its not as portable but its really not thaaat bad. I mean I've used it around the house and at a local coffee shop and in all seriousness I haven't wished I had the MBA. I've also noticed a huge difference in power, and I have the base 15 inch model. I use my GoPro a lot and do editing with Final Cut Pro X and the GoPro software and everything happens much faster and smoother now. I had the i7 in my MBA but it was clocked much slower and it was a dual core, not a quad core like the 15 inch rMBP. Bottom line, make the switch, you won't regret it!

6. TRC-WA thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the advice! I pulled the trigger and feel great!

I got the base 15.4 2.2Ghz 16GB 256GB at Best Buy...

Regular 1999.99 on sale with $100 off... I also used the mover's coupon for an additional 10% $190.00 off despite the fact the fine print on the website excludes Apple computers I think...

I figured I'd try it anyway and a manager override got me the discount.

[​IMG]

$290 off! Booyah! :cool:

Now to unbox it!! LOL

7. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Nice buy! I totally agree with the others that you will benefit from i7 and the 15 inch display

8. TRC-WA thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I got my data migrated over and man... this machine just rocks.

One question though...

AppleCare?

$349?

Yes? No?

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

$244 at B&H Photo, or $239 via Apple Education or Government stores. At that price, yes.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AppleCare adds two more years of warranty to your computer. Do you think that's worthwhile? Given the fact that the computer is not easily repairable, I'd say any service work done on it will be expensive. I'd opt for it for peace of mind.

11. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I totally agree, peace of mind is important. I have had the logic card replaced twice on my old MBP under warranty. Tech support is also there to help you over the phone for 3 years.

Twice I have picked up AppleCare on eBay for a decent price from over 99.8% sellers. On two different machines I have had to use it and it worked perfectly

Of course the vast majority who buy AppleCare never have to use it. But for such an expensive investment it sure helps one to sleep peacefully :)

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

I strongly disagree.
    He drops that thing or spills coffee and :apple:care is no good
    :apple:care makes sense for desktops, but the OP is taking about a laptop.

With a computer you carry around I'd spend a bit extra and get proper insurance.

----------

:apple:care doesn't provide peace of mind. It's not an insurance.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagree, desktops tend to be easier to repair by the consumer, not laptops. True AC does not cover accidental damage, but I still believe AC is a good option.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

From my expierence laptops break because of outward damage, especially since they are carried around all the time. To spend a bit extra for a real insurance makes a lot of sense.

15. TRC-WA thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestions...

I think I'm gonna go with the insurance and skip AppleCare... just like my phone and iPad. :cool: