Upgraded my (unlocked) iphone 3gs to iOS 4 version but sim card is not accepted

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by claudiadast, Jan 5, 2011.

1. claudiadast macrumors newbie

Hi, I live overseas and recently bought an unlocked iPhone 3GS that I had hooked up to iTunes. Everything worked fine and my sim card from this country was valid. When I disconnected it and reconnected it, a sign popped up saying i could upgrade to iOS 4 or something, so I clicked update. Then, it starting backing up my iPhone and restoring it, but when it was finished and I reconnected it with iTunes, a sign came up saying that my sim card is not valid. Why would it say that when it had accepted it in version 3.1.3? Now, I was thinking maybe if i just re-inserted my sim card again it would work, but i'm having difficulty getting it out of its hard case. Is that what the problem is, or is it worse?

I just tried downgrading it back to version 3.1.3 from the iOS 4 version, restoring it to its "Factory Settings" but it still gave me the same message: that my sim card isn't valid.

please help!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because it was JB and unlocked.
    Thats what happens when you update it to official firmware. It locks again.
    It was not forever/factory unlocked.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Oh boy, sounds like you don't have a factory unlocked phone? True?

if so you just updated the baseband and lost your unlock. What baseband does it show now? Settings, General, about, modem baseband

4. claudiadast thread starter macrumors newbie

So what does that mean now? Do I have to go get a new sim card or get the phone unlocked again? or both?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Please don't post multiple threads on the same issue. From the Forum Rules:

One thread. Do not post a thread more than once. Post a new thread in the proper forum. If the topic is relevant to more than one forum, pick the best fit or most specific forum and post it only once.​

I merged both threads, so all responses can now be seen here.

7. claudiadast thread starter macrumors newbie

So, since I upgraded, but then restored it, what baseband would it be now? I can't check because it's stuck on the screen telling me to connect it to iTunes with the emergency call option. Before, it's baseband was 5.12.01, so do I still use this same baseband when using the jailbreaking and unlocking software? Speaking of which, which software am I supposed to use, whether it's redsnow, ultrasnow, blackrain, etc.?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you restored recently then you updated it to 4.2.1
    Use the guide I gave you above.
    Thats the only way to unlock it now.
    You might lose your GPS capabilities though.
    Attempt at your own risk.