upgraded to 4.01 on my 3 gs and my bars dropped thru the floor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heavy2healthy, Aug 4, 2010.

1. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

2. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Signal strength will be no different from 4.0 to 4.0.1, it is just displayed differently or displays "correctly" as apple likes to put it.

3. clg82 macrumors regular

Yeh apple has been lying to us about how many bars we've been getting from the beginning......

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Yes there's a way.

5. heavy2healthy thread starter macrumors regular

So are you saying it shouldnt effect call quality? it just shows alot less bars? I had 5 bars in my office now I have 2 to 3.

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Not the beginning, but I think since 2.1.

7. JulianL macrumors 65816

Exactly. You still have exactly the same signal strength in your office, it's just that iOS 4.0.1 is changing how many bars it uses to represent that signal strength on your display screen.

Look at it this way. If I give you a tape measure that is "fixed" so that it shows lengths as longer than they really were and you measure yourself and find out that you're 6 foot 4 inches tall. Someone now gives you a correct tape measure and you now find that you're 5 feet 10 inches tall. Have you just shrunk 6 inches and will going back to your old tape measure magically make you taller again? No, it's just that you've been mislead for all the time that you were using the old tape measure.

- Julian

8. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Yes, you will have to find or download a copy of iOS 4.0, once you have down that put your phone into DFU mode, then within iTunes restore it from the iOS 4.0 firmware.

9. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

This. Right here. Do not look any farther, don't listen to anything that contradicts what Julian said.

Well said my man. :cool:

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You will need your SHSH's signed to go back to the 4.0 firmware. If you don't have them, then there is no way to downgrade. Sorry.

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

Yes that is correct. Apple manipulated the bars back in the 3G days to show 5 bars even when you had much less signal. The bars now more closely reflect reality. Like others said, your signal strength is unchanged.

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Generally speaking, we get lied to plenty. So just accept this.