Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heavy2healthy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
So are you saying it shouldnt effect call quality? it just shows alot less bars? I had 5 bars in my office now I have 2 to 3.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
heavy2healthy said:
So are you saying it shouldnt effect call quality? it just shows alot less bars? I had 5 bars in my office now I have 2 to 3.
Exactly. You still have exactly the same signal strength in your office, it's just that iOS 4.0.1 is changing how many bars it uses to represent that signal strength on your display screen.

Look at it this way. If I give you a tape measure that is "fixed" so that it shows lengths as longer than they really were and you measure yourself and find out that you're 6 foot 4 inches tall. Someone now gives you a correct tape measure and you now find that you're 5 feet 10 inches tall. Have you just shrunk 6 inches and will going back to your old tape measure magically make you taller again? No, it's just that you've been mislead for all the time that you were using the old tape measure.

- Julian

Robby C

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Atlanta
Exactly. You still have exactly the same signal strength in your office, it's just that iOS 4.0.1 is changing how many bars it uses to represent that signal strength on your display screen.

Look at it this way. If I give you a tape measure that is "fixed" so that it shows lengths as longer than they really were and you measure yourself and find out that you're 6 foot 4 inches tall. Someone now gives you a correct tape measure and you now find that you're 5 feet 10 inches tall. Have you just shrunk 6 inches and will going back to your old tape measure magically make you taller again? No, it's just that you've been mislead for all the time that you were using the old tape measure.

- Julian

This. Right here. Do not look any farther, don't listen to anything that contradicts what Julian said.

Well said my man. :cool:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Yes that is correct. Apple manipulated the bars back in the 3G days to show 5 bars even when you had much less signal. The bars now more closely reflect reality. Like others said, your signal strength is unchanged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.