Upgraded to DP7... all of a sudden, vertical line on my brand new MBA..

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by duelingdragons, Sep 4, 2013.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

My display was working fine earlier today, but I upgraded to DP7 and now all of a sudden there is a noticeable vertical line down the right side of my display.

Is this just coincidental, and this is actually hardware?

I've tried restarting, etc. which makes it seem like hardware.

Here's a shot, clearly visible along the right third of the screen

No clue why it rotated like that, sorry.
    http://imgur.com/omDu4tu

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Well you could always try reinstalling. I doubt it's hardware if it just showed up randomly after a software update but if it's still showing after you do a reinstall then maybe it's just a bunco screen. Does it show at all times or just in Mission Control?

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

At all times, which makes me think it's hardware. It even happens during the boot screen.

I only pulled up Mission Control to make the lighter line stick out.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I'd reinstall ML to see if it goes away. Could be a bug in Mavericks' graphics drivers.

5. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

6. drew627 macrumors regular

Uh I had the exact same problem when I got my brand new MacBook Pro four years ago. It was fine for the first week but then a green line suddenly appeared on screen. The tech guy said the motherboard was broken (or malfunctioning) and I got a new one... You should definitely revert it back to the system it came with! Lest the geniuses refuse to replace it when they see that the OS has been tempered with

7. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Are you sure its not screen burn? Sometimes I get lines on the screen, and they are really easy to see when there is gray on the screen (like Mission Control or the login screen). It goes away after a while. But, you might have a hardware issue instead so I would check into it.

8. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

9. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Reset the PRAM, downgraded to 10.8, no dice :(
    Guess it's hardware

10. nyolc8 macrumors regular

make a screenshot with cmd+shift+3. If the line is present on screenshot image then it's software problem. If it's not present on the screenshot, then it's hardware problem.

edit: just saw that you reinstalled os, so it's hardware.

11. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I run into this issue numerous times working on Mac Computers and is unfortunately common, although 99% of the time I encounter it, it's on a desktop and not a laptop. But, it's a screen issue, the screen needs to be replaced the line will multiply over time eventually causing half of the screen to go black.

Best regards,
    Frank

12. Dirtyharrydev macrumors member

I do have a little the same prob on my mba 2013.
    But it shows a little white thing after the folder in a fast secound then its gone.

I did downgrade to ml, and the issue there is that it some times lagg insted.
    I did check console and i did find a error messages regarding dock image.

So in my case it's a bugg i guess.

Its much better in ml then mevericks.
    I hope 10.8.5 fixes it and also the finale rls of mavericks.

13. chrfr macrumors 603

This is not always true. Screen shots are buffered through the video memory, so hardware problems can appear in screen captures.

14. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I had that on my old 2006 iMac. First there was one line in the middle of the screen, 1 px thick; then a second appeared an inch to the left; then a third one a bit further over.
    Essentially, it looked like one of the RGB components in each line was permanently on. If you've got something with a large black object over the lines, you'll see a single strand of colour. Of course, it could easily be the other way round, with the line always off.

On these and other forums, you'll also find a lot of people complaining about various problems that started immediately after updating the OS -- none of which were actually caused by the OS software itself. The logical fallacy of "after this, therefore because of this" is often hard to resist.
    Installing a new OS can be strenuous on hard disks, and a surge in CPU activity can also tip failing circuitry over the edge.