Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
So I took the plunge and updated to the official 4.0 in hopes a jailbreak would be released similar to Spirit. I know the new PwnageTool works on iPhone 3GS with old bootrom that was previously jailbroken. Mine used to be till i officially updated to 4.0.

Cani downgrade back to 3.1.3, jailbreak and then update to custom 4.0 with the new PwnageTool? If so, how?

If not, do I just have to wait till they release a jailbreak for stock iPhone 3GS with 4.0?

hogsdill

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2007
So I took the plunge and updated to the official 4.0 in hopes a jailbreak would be released similar to Spirit. I know the new PwnageTool works on iPhone 3GS with old bootrom that was previously jailbroken. Mine used to be till i officially updated to 4.0.

Cani downgrade back to 3.1.3, jailbreak and then update to custom 4.0 with the new PwnageTool? If so, how?

If not, do I just have to wait till they release a jailbreak for stock iPhone 3GS with 4.0?
Yes, but I don't think they've released the latest redsn0w to do so... yet. Should be soon.

How to Unlock iPhone 3GS 4.0 & iPhone 3G 4.0 iOS with Ultrasn0w 0.93

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Bought this iPhone off of somebody. How do I know if the SHSH for this phone is on file? Anyway I can test by downgrading or something? If so, how do I downgrade it? Is it as simple as resorting from 3.1.2 in iTunes?

It has to have been JB at some time when the previous owner had it to have the SHSH's on file. While how simple that's pretty subjective. Basic math was simple to Einstein not so much for my wife. Downgrading can be a headache even with some experience.

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Bought this iPhone off of somebody. How do I know if the SHSH for this phone is on file? Anyway I can test by downgrading or something? If so, how do I downgrade it? Is it as simple as resorting from 3.1.2 in iTunes?

To check if your device has shsh on file. do this.
edit your hosts file:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
add the following line
74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

try to do the downgrade with shift restore. if it goes through that means your blobs are stored in cydia. If it fails apple validation then you don't.

Downgrading might need you to put your phone in DFU mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.