Upgraded to official 4.0 on 3GS (old bootrom) Can I still jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ccolaco, Jun 23, 2010.

1. ccolaco macrumors 6502

So I took the plunge and updated to the official 4.0 in hopes a jailbreak would be released similar to Spirit. I know the new PwnageTool works on iPhone 3GS with old bootrom that was previously jailbroken. Mine used to be till i officially updated to 4.0.

Cani downgrade back to 3.1.3, jailbreak and then update to custom 4.0 with the new PwnageTool? If so, how?

If not, do I just have to wait till they release a jailbreak for stock iPhone 3GS with 4.0?

2. hogsdill macrumors member

Yes, but I don't think they've released the latest redsn0w to do so... yet. Should be soon.

How to Unlock iPhone 3GS 4.0 & iPhone 3G 4.0 iOS with Ultrasn0w 0.93

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

4. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Bought this iPhone off of somebody. How do I know if the SHSH for this phone is on file? Anyway I can test by downgrading or something? If so, how do I downgrade it? Is it as simple as resorting from 3.1.2 in iTunes?

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It has to have been JB at some time when the previous owner had it to have the SHSH's on file. While how simple that's pretty subjective. Basic math was simple to Einstein not so much for my wife. Downgrading can be a headache even with some experience.

6. navigates macrumors 6502a

To check if your device has shsh on file. do this.
    edit your hosts file:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    add the following line
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

try to do the downgrade with shift restore. if it goes through that means your blobs are stored in cydia. If it fails apple validation then you don't.

Downgrading might need you to put your phone in DFU mode.