Upgrades worth it for MID 2009 13" MBP 2.53GHz C2Duo?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adiddas125, May 7, 2013.

1. adiddas125 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I've been wondering if an SSD and a 8gb ram upgrade to this machine would breathe new life into this machine for a few more years or should I get a new machine?

I am currently running Mac Office, Chemdraw Mac, Photoshop and usually have around 10-15 PDFs open (too many scientific articles to read!). It takes about 2 min 30sec to do a fresh reboot, and around 3 minutes to get into windows when I need to access certain software on the windows side.

My university forced me to upgrade to Mountain Lion from Snow leopard due to network printing issues, and while I appreciate the new multi gestures on the track pad, I dont use all of the features of the Mac OS X (launchpad, mission control). Is it wrong to use spotlight as a faster way to launch programs?
    My current machine has 4gb of ram and a 5400rpm drive (250gb). I use a lot of cloud storage and usb flash drives to keep my data saved, I never had a problem being happy with 250gb of HDD space, but these days more than ever it just becomes quite annoying to work on my laptop.

Is there a big jump in processing power from a C2Duo to a i5/i7 Haswell Chip (or even Ivy Bridge) that I would notice even with upgraded ram and SSD?

Do you think its worth recycling this machine and buying a 13" rMBP (I can wait till Haswell is released) or upgrading these components be a better choice and wait till the next generation after Haswell is released?

Any tips would be welcome. I keep teetering on this decision and cannot decide one way or the other. Both have their pros and cons.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Based on what you said, the University may force you to upgrade OS X after the next version is released. Eventually your machine will no longer be supported by some future version of OS X.

There is a noticeable jump in processing power going to a current Mac.

Overall, I think you're better off buying a new Mac. You can either sell your old one to recoup some money or keep it around to test stuff on.

Remember to use your educational discount when buying the new Mac.