Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Leave it on overnight, maybe a couple nights. It’s a new drive so spotlight is indexing, which takes tons of processor time and drive bandwidth.

Reactions: martyjmclean

alaurence96

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019
Is it the same OS as before?

Yes, the OS was installed via the time machine backup
[automerge]1578182781[/automerge]
Leave it on overnight, maybe a couple nights. It’s a new drive so spotlight is indexing, which takes tons of processor time and drive bandwidth.

Ok will do. Just to be sure, would you be able to look at the one I bought and let me know if I actually got one that isn't as compatible as I thought?

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Yes, the OS was installed via the time machine backup
[automerge]1578182781[/automerge]

Ok will do. Just to be sure, would you be able to look at the one I bought and let me know if I actually got one that isn't as compatible as I thought?

Are you asking if you bought the right drive or adaptor? You can post what you have, if I don’t know someone else here will.

alaurence96

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
I couldn’t speak to your adapter, I bought the sintech one recommended one on the first page. The drive seems fine to me.

sageman72

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
I'm considering the Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB for my Early 2015 13" Pro, should be a good choice, right?

jhamby

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
OK so I did a 2TB Intel 660p upgrade to my Early 2015 13" MBPro (using the long Sintech Adapter)

I am noticing a battery drain issue, mainly during sleep and overnight. I lose about 1-3% per hour and usually wake up overnight with about 25-30% drained, which is a shame. Tried all the usual suspects, DND, Bluetooth, Energy Saver settings, pmset standby time etc. I also tried booting in safe mode with the same problem. The only thing left to do is swap back the OG apple drive and test if it goes away but I cbf at the moment...

The extra space is killer though, especially coming from 512.... I am just wondering if it is worth taking this 660p back and trying a different HDD, maybe the Samsung? Am I going to get these type of sleep battery drain issues regardless of 3rd party drives though? If so, I would rather save myself the hassle and just live with it.

Hoping someone else may have some experience with this combo and may be able to chime in... I read on another forum these third party drives are always going to have more of a battery drain the the original m.2 one? Is there any truth to that?

Thanks,

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
OK so I did a 2TB Intel 660p upgrade to my Early 2015 13" MBPro (using the long Sintech Adapter)

I am noticing a battery drain issue, mainly during sleep and overnight. I lose about 1-3% per hour and usually wake up overnight with about 25-30% drained, which is a shame. Tried all the usual suspects, DND, Bluetooth, Energy Saver settings, pmset standby time etc. I also tried booting in safe mode with the same problem. The only thing left to do is swap back the OG apple drive and test if it goes away but I cbf at the moment...

The extra space is killer though, especially coming from 512.... I am just wondering if it is worth taking this 660p back and trying a different HDD, maybe the Samsung? Am I going to get these type of sleep battery drain issues regardless of 3rd party drives though? If so, I would rather save myself the hassle and just live with it.

Hoping someone else may have some experience with this combo and may be able to chime in... I read on another forum these third party drives are always going to have more of a battery drain the the original m.2 one? Is there any truth to that?

Thanks,
Yes you are right, at the current state whatever third party drive you install you are going to get much less battery life. Problem here is that apple NVME drivers are not optimized for any other than their own drives, as a result third party drivers cannot enter into deep sleep mode.

Have you also disabled find my Mac? it may help a little bit.

Samsung is probably the most power hungry drive out there.

jhamby

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
Yes you are right, at the current state whatever third party drive you install you are going to get much less battery life. Problem here is that apple NVME drivers are not optimized for any other than their own drives, as a result third party drivers cannot enter into deep sleep mode.

Have you also disabled find my Mac? it may help a little bit.

Samsung is probably the most power hungry drive out there.
I see, thanks for the heads up.

I probably won't bother doing the whole return thing and swapping drives again. Seems like a lot of work for just a similar outcome on another drive...

re: Find my Mac - I haven't even signed in to iCloud so I don't think it is on at all by default until I sign in right?

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
re: Find my Mac - I haven't even signed in to iCloud so I don't think it is on at all by default until I sign in right?
I am not so sure, in my case even with the stock apple drive and after Catalina update I realized my MBP kept waking up from sleep every 2 hours to check some internet packages, after lot of digging I found out that the new apple feature which allows Macs and other devices to be searchable through find my...app was the cause of the unexpected wake ups. The new update catalina uses wifi and BT as beacon to send info to apple servers so in case you loose internet connection the device can be found via find my...basically your Mac is always trying to locate other BT and wifi devices nearby and this info is sent to apple.

jhamby

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
I am not so sure, in my case even with the stock apple drive and after Catalina update I realized my MBP kept waking up from sleep every 2 hours to check some internet packages, after lot of digging I found out that the new apple feature which allows Macs and other devices to be searchable through find my...app was the cause of the unexpected wake ups. The new update catalina uses wifi and BT as beacon to send info to apple servers so in case you loose internet connection the device can be found via find my...basically your Mac is always trying to locate other BT and wifi devices nearby and this info is sent to apple.

Yikes, that sounds Orwellian!

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
Here are some test results of my own using iStatMenus and Blackmagic disk speed test

Intel 660p 2TB in a 2015 MacBook Pro:
0.19 amps idle
1.12 amps write (1671 mb/s BlackMagic)
0.88 amps read (1457 mb/s BlackMagic)

ADATA SX8200Pro in a 2015 MacBook Air:
0.19 amps idle
0.88 amps write (1289 mb/s BlackMagic)
0.86 amps read (1380 mb/s BlackMagic)

I am curious why the ADATA came up slower than the cheap Intel drive?

I have used it. Before I gave it on SX8200P I had one kernel panic. Not kernel panic after
So how much cooler is your drive running with the Heat Sink? Do you think it was overheating without? I installed one of these drives in 2015 MacBookAir and I used the heat sink with their standard sticky material.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Here are some test results of my own using iStatMenus and Blackmagic disk speed test

Intel 660p 2TB in a 2015 MacBook Pro:
0.19 amps idle
1.12 amps write (1671 mb/s BlackMagic)
0.88 amps read (1457 mb/s BlackMagic)

ADATA SX8200Pro in a 2015 MacBook Air:
0.19 amps idle
0.88 amps write (1289 mb/s BlackMagic)
0.86 amps read (1380 mb/s BlackMagic)

I am curious why the ADATA came up slower than the cheap Intel drive?

So how much cooler is your drive running with the Heat Sink? Do you think it was overheating without? I installed one of these drives in 2015 MacBookAir and I used the heat sink with their standard sticky material.

Maybe the MacBook Air versus MacBook Pro is the reason for the performance difference. Best to try them both on the same system

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
Maybe the MacBook Air versus MacBook Pro is the reason for the performance difference. Best to try them both on the same system
These are both 2015 model computers. Is there a specification difference on the SSD connectors that the Air would be known to be slower than the Pro for SSD disk access?

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
These are both 2015 model computers. Is there a specification difference on the SSD connectors that the Air would be known to be slower than the Pro for SSD disk access?
From my understanding the only difference is that the 660p is QLC memory whereas the SX8200 is TLC, therefore you are gonna get more performance with the intel as long as the QLC memory isnt filled. With TLC drives you get constant performance whereas with QLC depends on how filled is the drive. Less free space = worse performance

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
I installed a brand new 2TB ADATA SX8200Pro in MacBook Air Saturday night and in the following 24 hours I filled not more than 100GB of it with operating system, software, and data and then I checked the drive’s health with Drive DX and it indicated that 3.9 terabytes of writes have already been accumulated. I confirmed that TRIM is enabled.

Why would there have been so much data written already? How can I identify what process in my system is writing so much data as to wear out the drive prematurely? Does the factory do some kind of burn-in test to verify function and quality before shipping?

trubadix

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
Hi, tnx for this tread and all that contributed. I was able to upgrade my MacBook Pro Late 2013 with this information successfully. Attached the (german) screenshot of the system information on NVMExpress.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-06 um 19.39.45.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-07 um 21.56.23.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Nincompoep

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
In case anyone is interested, it seems like the sabrent 2TB drive is overheating in my 2015 15" MBP. I get higher speeds for a moment, then the fans kick on, and the drive slows way down. Not sure if there's a way to fix this.
I had two 2TB Sabrent Rockets fail in my 13" early 2015 - one started exhibiting kernel panics with increasing frequency, the other worked great for two days then suddenly failed. N=2, so YMMV.
Just curious what results others are having with recently purchased Sabrent 2TB drives?

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
I bought my Sabrent 2TB Rocket from Amazon last June (2019) and it is still working great. I just took this benchmark right now and I'm on the latest Catalina. Haven't had any issues at all. I wonder if people are using questionable adapters which make it appear that the drives are problematic.

1578419975699.png

tk_mac

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2019
I bought my Sabrent 2TB Rocket from Amazon last June (2019) and it is still working great. I just took this benchmark right now and I'm on the latest Catalina. Haven't had any issues at all. I wonder if people are using questionable adapters which make it appear that the drives are problematic.
What adapter are you using (link please)? Does the drive give you 2048GB of usable space when you look in Disk Utility? (2TB drives give 2048GB, 2000GB, or some as low as 1920GB of user space)

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
The adapter was one of the ones that was recommended. I can't tell you which because I bought 4-5 of them at the same time since it appeared some were not good. If you search my posts in this thread, I think I shared my findings on those adapters and I think I said which one I used. It was the first one that I used which is the one I stuck with.

Here, I found the post where I shared what adapter I'm using here. Looks like the Sintech: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread....2034976/page-183?post=27450743#post-27450743

Here is the current info from Disk Utility. Hope this helps you...

1578425620376.png

Reactions: powerslave12r

Allistah

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.