Upgrading 5400RPM Hard Drive to 7200RPM in Aluminum (non-Pro) MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by upN0rth, Feb 22, 2010.

1. upN0rth macrumors newbie

I have a 13" Aluminum (non-Pro) MacBook which came with a 250GB 5400RPM hard drive. I'm considering an upgrade to a 500GB 7200RPM drive. I'm assuming that any 2.5" SATA drive should work but I have a few concerns.

1) Heat dissipation. I understand 7200RPM drives create slightly more heat than the slower 5400RPM drives. I don't recall a 7200RPM drive being an option when I custom ordered my MacBook. Could the 7200RPM drive create too much heat and cause any potential damage to my beloved MacBook?

2) Transferring data. Would this be as simple as plugging in the new drive, connecting my time machine and letting it restore?

3) AppleCare. I have about 2-years left on my AppleCare agmt. Would this upgrade void the warranty?

Thank You in advance for your valued advice and opinions.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

1. The temperature difference is almost negligible when considering your MacBook's core temperature. In other words, it won't be an issue.

2. You will have to use your MacBook's install disks or your Retail OS disk. After you place the new hard drive in the MacBook, use the disk utility to format the drive to MacOS Journaled extended and make sure it is a GUID partition. (You'll understand once you start the utility). Then install the OS and afterward, it will ask if you want to transfer files and settings. By this time you should have your Time Machine plugged in and select "From Time Machine Back Up"

3. Ram and Hard Drive upgrades do not void your warranty.

3. Aende macrumors newbie

hi, i want to do the same thing too.
    but i was wondering if it is easy to transfer my files from my old hard drive to the new one if i don't have a time machine. and if so, how would i do it?
    Thanks.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

That's going to be difficult if you can't connect both hard drives at the same time.

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If you have a 2.5" SATA HD Enclosure you can do it quite easily.

1) Put the new drive into the enclosure, attach to your MacBook and make it Mac Ready (formatted as Mac Extended (Journaled) with a named partition that has a GUID partition table).

2) Clone your old drive to the new drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Once done, test to make sure that the new drive is bootable by holding down option at startup and selecting the new drive. Make sure it has all of your stuff and works correctly. It will be slower because of the USB or FireWire connection.

3) Switch the drives physically so the new one is your new internal drive and the old one is in the enclosure to use as a backup drive.

Hope this helps -GDF

6. Aende macrumors newbie

thanks, i shall do more research on that stuff.

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

You can also clone the drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or (my preference) the Disk Utility Restore function.

8. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,sorry to hijeck this thread but I am willing to the same thing but in an unibody white macbook..
    Can anyone tell with real experience what is the difference in the battery time?
    I've read lots of different experiences on the net,from 40% less to 10-15% less to 10/15min less...