Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you’re upgrading from the iPad 9.7 Pro, which one would you pick?

• iPad Pro 11 inch

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • iPad Pro 12.9 inch

Votes: 15 27.8%

• Total voters

jpmoogle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
I know everyone has those threads where they are debating about switching to a new one.

I’m planning to purchase one of the devices. I have the original 9.7 iPad Pro 128gb with cellular, got it refurbished from Groupon like almost two years ago when it came out. I recently got unlimited data plan with T-Mobile and I’ve been using this to go. So out of the two new ones, which one would you prefer and is it worth the upgrade?

Besides using it as an expensive Netflix glorified machine, I check email, do some basic word document, play some video games, watch YouTube videos. I don’t edit any videos at all, if anything, it would be rare. There will be times where I am laying on the side of my bed and using my iPad. The footprint is a lot smaller for the 12.9 since the bezels have shrunken. I’ll end up picking up the Apple Pencil a few months after.

Let me know your thoughts! Thank you, I do appreciate it.

lotus ipad

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
I love the new iPad 11 inch, it has a very similar footprint to the 9.7. I thought the 12.9 was nice but seemed a little too big for using in bed and on the couch.

KarinvdB

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2016
The Netherlands
I’m going for the 12.9. I was already tempted when it first came out but seemed a bit unwieldy. I got the 9.7 after that came out, but I was pretty upset when they came up with the 10.5 shortly after. I did find especially for drawing and split screen that the screen size is a limitation. When these iPads where announced I did doubt a bit between the 11 and 12.9 but since I don’t have a laptop and use the iPad a lot, plus mentioned size restriction issues I just knew I would regret upgrading to ‘just’ 11”. But it is a personal choice, of course.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
I have the 9.7” & 10.5” in my household as we just pass down devices when a new one comes out. Both were my prior devices for the past 2 years.

I would suggest going 12.9”. The additional screen real estate is so nice. The new 12.9” is the best iPad ever made in my opinion. It is has a massive screen, thin, powerful and light in weight. However, if you attach the smart folio keyboard and fold it back it does add some unwanted weight to the iPad. It makes one handed use a strain. I have started using the 12.9” naked around the house and it has been wonderful. It is still portable enough as it fits in the sling bag with no problem with the smart folio keyboard attached (Bag is the Vertx Transit Sling). The iPad seems really big as first but just like anything else the more you use it the smaller it seems. If you get it, give it a week or so and it will shrink a little lol. I will never be able to downsize to the 11”. It feels so tiny lol. Full size keyboard is also is a major plus.

I would suggest 11” if you care about maximum portability. Note I say maximum, as the 12.9” is very portable. The compact view on the split screen was a deal breaker for me this year. I hated it on the 9.7” and 10.5” and found myself never using it. I use it all the time now on the 12.9”. You cannot beat how the 11” in feels in the hand and how easy it is to hold. I have no argument there.

Decide what you value most.

The screen size and layout of apps is what I found myself valuing most. If I need to use something in a situation that needs maximum portability I will just use my Xs Max.

Both are wonderful devices and you will be happy with either one.

Reactions: Mr X

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’m probably biased as I like the real estate of the 12.9”. But I did try going from my 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9” to a 10.5” last year, solely for the fact that it was smaller and lighter.

It, did not go well. It was definitely smaller and lighter but I had the same problem I’ve had with every iPad ever. The screen was just too small for me to feel comfortable being productive on it.

That’s a personal thing, of that there’s no doubt. I’d literally never been productive on an iPad until the 12.9 showed up.

This year I feel I’m getting the best of both worlds. The new 12.9 is a good bit smaller and lighter. It’s getting close to how small you can make a screen that size. I personally love it, it’s so much more manageable, without compromising the screen size.

But at the end of the day, everyone is different. Nobody really knows how another person will cope with a device.
I think the 12.9 is the way to go. But I’d say go to a shop and try them both out for yourself.

MacFinnley

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2014
Munich, Germany
I went for the 11 inch because of portability and cost factor. Mine will be shipped end of november. Does somebody have a screen size comparison between 9,7 and 11 inch? What are the exact measurements?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I highly recommend you visit your local Apple Store or retailer and check them out in person. It will really help you visualize more clearly the differences by actually holding and using them. Because ultimately, you will get very valid but very different opinions on forums like these. It’s helpful, but only in relation to your own personal preferences. Cause that’s who you are buying it for...YOU. Believe me, I used this forum as a sounding board and have bounced off the opinions expressed here to help cut thru my own indecisiveness. So I know it’s part of the process. But only you know what you like.

Having said that, if you want to upgrade, by all means upgrade. Life is short, enjoy it! So coming from a 9.7”, an 11” will be a big difference...and the 12.9” will be a HUGE difference in screen space. Wether that works for you is something you really have to experience hands on. So again, you can watch every comparison video on YouTube, and read every opinion...but until you actually go down to the store and hold them yourself and filter them thru your own preferences...you’ll never fully know.

Me personally? I’m an artist coming from the iPad mini. I love the 12.9” screen, and appreciate that it is smaller than the last version...but I travel a lot...so I decided to go with the 11”. For me it’s the perfect mix of power & portability.

You can’t go wrong with either one, so identify what’s most important to you, and what’s most comfortable, and you can’t go wrong.

Reactions: MisterSavage

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I went with the 12.9” because I like big screen for productivity.

The 11” is great for portability but that is not my primary concern.

After all I have used the 12.9” iPad Pro (1st gen) for over 2 years. The 3rd gen model is only better since it is now smaller and lighter.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
As someone who using the 9.7" Pro for over a year and then changed to the 12.9" for the past 17 months, I'd say go for the 11" Pro. It'll be a great upgrade and will feel like a nice increase in screen size while still keeping the iPad extremely portable, especially for how you describe your use.

Reactions: MisterSavage

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
Typing with the 11” model isn’t as comfortable as with the 12.9” model.

Productivity is very important for me. For portability I have my iPhone Xs Max.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I checked out the new iPad Pros at my local Apple Store yesterday. I have a 9.7 Pro now, so I was on the fence about maybe moving up to the 12.9 instead of the 11 since the form factoid is so different than the prior jumbo models.

The thing that killed the 12.9 for me was the weight with the cases attached. With either the folio smart case or the Smart Keyboard, which are how I would actually use the iPad, the 12.9 was noticeably heavier that the identically outfitted 11 inch. The heavier weight makes it significantly more difficult to use hand-held for me, and turned out to be a deal-breaker.

When I got home, I ordered a new 11 inch, gray 256 with LTE, with the keyboard case and folio cover. I have to wait a couple weeks for delivery, but the delay will be worth it since checking out the new form factors in person was important for me to investigate. One can look at Web sites, pictures, and read all the reviews, but there is no substitute for actually holding them playing with the actual device, just as you would use it, before you make a decision.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I checked out the new iPad Pros at my local Apple Store yesterday. I have a 9.7 Pro now, so I was on the fence about maybe moving up to the 12.9 instead of the 11 since the form factoid is so different than the prior jumbo models.

The thing that killed the 12.9 for me was the weight with the cases attached. With either the folio smart case or the Smart Keyboard, which are how I would actually use the iPad, the 12.9 was noticeably heavier that the identically outfitted 11 inch. The heavier weight makes it significantly more difficult to use hand-held for me, and turned out to be a deal-breaker.

When I got home, I ordered a new 11 inch, gray 256 with LTE, with the keyboard case and folio cover. I have to wait a couple weeks for delivery, but the delay will be worth it since checking out the new form factors in person was important for me to investigate. One can look at Web sites, pictures, and read all the reviews, but there is no substitute for actually holding them playing with the actual device, just as you would use it, before you make a decision.

It’s true that with the Smart Keyboard I think it weighs about 2.3 lbs which is quite heavy. Don’t quote me on that. But if I can remove the folio easily (magnetically without wearing out the case) that’s ideal for me. I loved the 12.9 in the store. I’m not sure why I am so drawn to it. I would love a new mini too. LOL.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My usage is very similar to yours and I've been using my 9.7 for two years now. When I heard about the size reduction of the 12.9 I thought it would be a good fit for me and preordered it. I should have gone and seen one in person before I decided. I ended up exchanging it for an 11. For me, it feels like a nice upgrade and I don't even notice the size increase in a negative way.

Reactions: profets and tgara

MCube74

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2010
Hong Kong
I am using the iPad Pro 12.9 as a notebook replacement. I feel so uncomfortable typing on smart keyboard for the smaller 11” model.

It feels so much better typing with the Smart Keyboard for the 12.9” model.

I have bought a cheap TPU case for my iPad Pro 12.9 to use is everyday without the Keyboard at home but when I take it to the office and use the iPad Pro, I will remove the TPU case and just use the Keyboard cover. Then when I am done, will switch back to the TPU case.

Big screen is a must. 11” looks tiny now. If I wanted a tiny one, I would have got the 10.5” and saved money

jpmoogle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2018
Hi everyone!

I didn't know that I would receive so many replies from this thread! Thank you! I will be checking these later on. I had a conference this past week at American Public Health Association (APHA) and just recovering. I will be replying back to everyone!

-John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.