Upgrading/add line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solostars, Jan 6, 2012.

1. solostars macrumors member

Question. I'm on AT&T family share plan. I currently have an iPhone 4 which is eligible for upgrade at any time. I plan to add a family member line to my acct. I was going to start new iPhone 4spurchase for addl line. Then I was going to use the 4s for me and give the iPhone 4 to family member.

Now, my question, when iPhone 5 comes out later, how can I use my upgrade from iPhone 4 to get that? Do I and family switch our phones and sim cards so now it shows I'm ready for upgrade and family member I'll have my used iPhone 4s. Make sense? Wanted to know before I add this line.

Thanks!

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If I understand you correctly this is what you need/want to do.

Family Plan

Your Line - Upgrade available
    Adding New Line - Upgrade available

When adding the line purchase the 4S have them assign that phone to your line, and give the new line your old 4.

Your line still is up for an upgrade when the 5 comes out - purchase 5 - put it on your line - either give 4S to the person with 4 or sell it.

I know you can do this with AT&T - Cause that is sorta what I do.

3. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

Upgrade

Just tell them you want the upgrade for the line that is eligible and then tell them what line you want to use the phone on. I have done that with my last two phones, they are fine with it at AT&T. They are happy just to get another two years out of you.

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Add new line get the 4S assign the 4S to your line and the 4 to the new additional line. Everything should be fine then when the new iPhone comes out just upgrade your line.

5. solostars thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for clarifying!! You guys rock!!