Upgrading: Cancel a pre-order with 4 week delivery time if I get one at the store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott6666, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I pre-ordered a phone a few days after it all started and have an 3-4 week delivery date on my upgrade.

What happens if I get in line at a store and get one tomorrow?

Will they check the upgrade status and see it's been used with the online preorder? Or will they check the upgrade status and see it's OK because the phone ordered online has not been shipped yet? Or will they make me cancel the online preorder while in the store which then will release the upgrade? Or will I cancel the preorder and still not have the upgrade in the store because ATT systems won't update fast enough?

Does anyone understand this question?

2. BuckDot macrumors member

Depends on where you got it from...

I guess if you pre-ordered through apple they should be able to cancel it for you, but not if you pre-ordered through a carrier.

If you did it through a carrier, unfortunately it takes some time for the cancel to "go through" and clear your phone # of the pending order (grr)

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

Very easy to check, just dail *639# on your phone and AT&T will send you an Admin SMS Txt message with your upgrade status.

This is the same status that you will have tomorrow when Apple or AT&T check your upgrade status in the store. Due to the system loads tomorrow, I would not expect any quick / instant "Device Eligiblity" changes if you do a last minute cancel.

Dave

4. marcello696 macrumors regular

I know what your saying, I'm planning to do the same and I was told to cancel the pre-order myself and depending on ATT server load the upgrade should be available anywhere from 15 to 30 min afterwards

5. malaclypse macrumors member

who told you that? Did you order from AT&T or Apple? I ordered from Apple and was told it would take 24 hours for them to process the cancellation and reset the upgrade eligibility. :(

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yes. your upgrade is now used up unless you cancel your other order. I went to Best Buy to check on this yesterday and that is the exact result that I got. My Apple shipped iPhone is now in "Preparing to Ship" so I've passed the point of no return.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I found it is absolutely nuts to pre-order online now. Wait 3-4 weeks for delivery?

If you have apple store nearby, then you should just stop by and buy one. Sure, you might be waiting for few days, but it won't be long... like 3-4 weeks.
    Also, I bought iPhone 4S last year by just walking into apple store around 11 AM on launch day.