Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnook1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Hi everyone! Quick question about upgrading any assistance would be much appreciated. I've tried to upgrade using Snowbreeze for 4.3.1 but I keep getting error 3194 regarding Apple server verifying the upgrade after building the custom software and putting the phone into DFU mode using iREB, etc.

I read a little about tweaking your iTunes hosts file to point to Saurik's server or just deleting it entirely as a workaround but I've not been able to make this work and still get error 3194.

Does anyone know how to make this work, or are you pretty much only ever to upgrade to the current software version that is available?? Thanks!

Please note I am not trying to downgrade the software, just upgrade to a version less than current. This is because ultrasn0w 1.2.2 is still an unknown quantity whereas 1.2.1 is verified working to unlock on 4.3.1.

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
This has already been asked thousands of time. If you want to install a firmware Apple no longer allows, you need to have saved old SHSH blobs for that firmware. Thus, for 4.3.1 firmware, do you have 4.3.1 SHSH blobs saved, on Cydia or locally with Tinyumbrella.

jnook1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2009
You may be right, but I don't understand how there can be tons of pages of folks saying tweaking the hosts file to Saurik's server, etc works... I cannot seem to get it to work but there are so many folks who have posted it works there must be some truth to using Saurik's server to validate the software?

Just google error 3194... thanks! And please let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You may be right, but I don't understand how there can be tons of pages of folks saying tweaking the hosts file to Saurik's server, etc works... I cannot seem to get it to work but there are so many folks who have posted it works there must be some truth to using Saurik's server to validate the software?

Just google error 3194... thanks! And please let me know if anyone else has any ideas.

It works IF YOU SAVED THE SHSH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.