upgrading from 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by photogpab, Sep 13, 2012.

1. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

what can I expect? Before I do it, I want to make sure I wont be in for any unpleasant surprises.

I currently have the old old "grandfathered" unlimited data plan from ATT. will this go away? Will my data plan be affected at all by the fact that the phone is now LTE. I've often heard people say that LTE uses so much more data that people eat thru their data plans very quickly.

How so? shouldn't the phone be using the same amount of data... just faster?

just want to weigh the pros and cons of upgrading from a 4S before I actually do it

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Many of these questions are already answered if you perform a search, but here's some answers.

1. If you're upgrading from a 4S that you bought though AT&T in the past year, you're likely not going to get the upgrade prices ($199/$299/$399). Instead you'll be paying the early upgrade price which is one of the prices above plus $250.

2. Your unlimited plan will not go away. However, AT&T has already said they're going to start throtteling around 5 GB or so.

3. People eat through they're data faster on LTE because many video sites (YouTube, NetFlix) adjust the quality of the video they send you based on your speed. Faster LTE connection = higher quality video = more data.

3. ilko macrumors member

ilko

You can expect disappointment. To be eligible for an upgrade you'll have to had the 4S for 20 months.

As far as the data plan, the unlimited plan is not going to change. But they will throttle you if using more than 3GB/mo. LTE does not give you more data, it gives you the same data, faster.

Hope this helps.

4. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Im upgrading from the 4S. and my brother used my line to get a new Lumia 800 just 8 months ago which is weird that im already eligible for a new iPhone at 200 bucks with a new 2 yr contract.

5. photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

im aware that I'll pay $450 for the "early upgrade". thankfully i feel confident i can sell my 4S for a solid price since it is in perfect condition.

i was more concerned about the data plan. throttling? i know once i hit 3G they lower my speeds. is that what you all meant by throttling?

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Correct. Though AT&T has said it will be around 5GB when speeds get lowered now.

7. photogpab thread starter macrumors 6502

photogpab

oh weird. up until last month it was 3GB for me. I noticed the immediate decrease in speed, called ATT and was told it was 3GB. 5GB would be much better!

before they started this throttling ******** i never worried about my data, now im always making sure to be connected to wifi so i don't go over. thankfully i've reduced my data usage greatly but i have occasionally gone over 3GB and my phone goes SO DAMN SLOW. ugh

5GB would be perfect

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Or just scrolled down the page. It gets asked and answered almost hourly.

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Your cap was 3gb because you have been using a non-LTE device. If you'd been using another phone that is a LTE device, it would've been 5gb.

So now that the iPhone 5 has LTE, that cap goes up to 5gb.