Upgrading from 7200 RPM 500GB HDD to 256GB SSD, recommendations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enforcer17, Nov 24, 2009.

1. enforcer17 macrumors newbie

I have a 17" MBP with the 500GB 7200RPM HDD, would like to upgrade to a 256GB SSD for all the performance gains, but mostly because I hear the HDD click whenever I move the machine quickly. Guessing it is parking to ensure no loss of data, but since SSD can take far more shock than a HDD, looking to go that direction.

What do you recommend? Any gotchas?

This is my first Mac since the late 90s, can I do a fresh install from the SL upgrade disc or do I need to start with the discs from initial purchase then SL upgrade?

How do I go about restoring my data from my time capsule via time machine?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It's that Seagate drive. It was the first 7200RPM 500GB 2.5" 9mm drive to come out, and other than the speed of it I have only read horrible reviews about how bad it is in every other aspect. The clicking being a main problem. However, what you are describing makes it sound like it could be the g-shock protection feature. Like you said if in use and it's dropped or moved in a rough manner the drive will instantly stop to try and protect itself from a head crash.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I highly recommend fresh install and not to restore from a Time Machine Back-up. That way, you have the fast new system configuration.

4. enforcer17 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

A manual restore is the ebst way as suggested. But the next best would be to erase, install, use the migration assistant to just transfer over your personal data (Snow Leopard has more options with it's MA I think), and then manually download and reinstall your apps. This is even more important when installed SL to ensure that all of your apps are up to date and compatible with SL.

Oh, and the migration assistant pops up right after you do a fresh install of an OS. It will ask if you want to restore from another Mac, an external drive, or a Time Machine Backup with further options following those.

If you bought SL at a store then you can install it fresh without Leopard preinstalled. If it is an up-to-date upgrade disk or an upgrade disk that came in the box (meaning it had the disk for SL in the box, but had Leopard installed) then you may have to have Leopard pre-installed.