Upgrading from a 5S to a 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vomhorizon, Oct 8, 2013.

1. vomhorizon macrumors 6502a

It seems an overwhelming majority on this forum is going to end up with a 5S. With rumors that the 6 will be bigger and with less than a year left before its launch, how are you guys planning to upgrade. For those with a contract there are 2 options, Either buy upgrade plans (and play 25+ $ per month for a chance to change the phone after a year) or look to sell the 5s on ebay etc and purchase a new 6 when the time comes..

What option makes the most sense?

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I have owned every iphone since the 3G and now have the 5s. The easiest way to do it is to sell the iPhone right before the new one comes out. On a 2 year contract, the yearly upgrade price would be the $200 plus $250 early upgrade fee for the 16gb model. I usually sell last years iphone for about 400-450 so as you can see it would only cost me about $50 extra to upgrade to the latest iphone every year. Seems to cheap not to!.

3. vomhorizon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you pay the early upgrade fee once you decide to upgrade or do you have to sign up for it and pay a monthly fee like say Verizon Edge?

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

You pay it just once and that's it. Much better than the edge program.

5. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Save up bit by bit each month, sell old iphone 5s, acquire new iphone 6. As easy as that. :)

6. dazedxar macrumors member

I have 4 people on my family plan. I am going to give my 5s to a family member and use their upgrade.

7. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

This is exactly how I do it. Since the 4. Keep your phone in good conditions for better resale value.

8. pojo1806, Oct 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

pojo1806 macrumors 68000

Haha sound like a great guy there.. :rolleyes:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't say that. I think a lot of people moved on to the 5S from the 5, but I think many of us (including myself) have not.

I opt to only pay the subsidy and upgrade every other year. There's lots of tricks to help you get a phone every year like have an extra line on the account so you can buy a subsidized phone every year or just buy the new one full price and then sell your old one.

From what I see though the price of the older model drops when the new model is released - its best to sell it before the new one is available.

The edge program doesn't seem to make sense, you pay full price and you have to trade in the old phone. I think you still do better selling it yourself.

10. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I tried the AT&T next program this time so should be no issue upgrading to the 6. Once I see how this works will then decide if it's worth it.

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

There is no rumor that iPhone 6 will be out in less than a year except in your head (credible rumor anyway). The option that makes the most sense is move on with life and don't worry about things that won't happen for a year.

12. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I'll upgrade more than likely. My wife and I have staggered upgrades, so for every phone since the 4S, I've gotten the new one at upgrade pricing (on one of our lines), my old phone goes to my wife, and we sell the one two generations old.

This past one, we sold our old 32GB 4S for $233 at GameStop, I got the 5S (32GB) for $299 and my wife got my old 32GB 5. So, for $66, she got an upgrade to the iPhone 5 and I got an upgrade to the 5S. Works well for us. :)

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Why do you assume everyone came from a 5?

I upgraded from a 4S. The 5 never seemed to be enough of an upgrade for me to justify making the switch.

Whatever is released next year will need to have some killer feature that makes it worth a midcontract upgrade. If so, I'll at that time evaluate the best options.

IMHO the carrier upgrade programs are a waste of money and just one more way the carriers try to lock you to them. What happens in a year if you decide you don't want the new phone? What happens if you want to change carriers? Better to just take what you'd have spent on the program and put it into a savings account.

14. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

You're assuming people want to upgrade because the screen may be bigger. I prefer the smaller screens/phones.

15. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I pretty much upgrade every year, just sell the old model and buy the new one with an early upgrade option. I could see how being locked into a contract for 2 years is unsettling for some but I have such a good deal/discount with my current carrier that I have no plans to leave ever so being locking into a 2 year contract is nothing to me.

Also agree with previous poster about just living life, who know what Apple will come out with so no point is waiting and not being happy with what you have. You know whatever Apple comes out with will be cool and you will want one.

16. aneftp macrumors 601

It works. Cause family member doesn't have to pay the initial $199 plus $30/36 upgrade fee.

Everyone is happy.

My brother has our mom on his plan. He is giving our mom his iPhone 5 32gb and using her upgrade to get 5s.

My mom doesn't care. In her mind she's getting a free phone that's in mint condition. And it's not costing her anything out of pocket to acquire the phone.

Getting a free iPhone 5 that's in mint condition is a lot better deal than getting a "free iPhone 4S" with the carriers on new 2 year contract? Right?

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

I never understood why anyone would feel "locked in" when you can exit the contract any time you want. Of course you have to pay the ETF, just as you'd have to pay off the balance if you'd financed the phone, but it isn't the Hotel California. You can leave anytime you like. :cool:

18. aneftp macrumors 601

People are dumb. Buy iPhone 5s for $230/236 (upgrade fees/activation $30/36).

Cancel service before 24 months. Pay the ETF $350/325 -$10/month. Sell iPhone. Use cash from iPhone sell to pay off ETF.

It's pretty easy. And it's not like you have to use shady Craigslist or semi risky eBay. Legit resellers will still give u no hassle trade in cash (not as good as eBay/Craigslist). But still no hassle that you can pay off most if not all the ETF.

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'm not planning to upgrade to the 6 at this point.

That's a highly subjective matter and it's to vary from person to person. My decision to not upgrade makes the most sense for me. However, it may not for the next.

20. vomhorizon thread starter macrumors 6502a

One of my buddies sold his 5 in August, and is used a cheap phone until he finally got hands on a brand new 5s (On launch day)..

21. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

I Early Upgraded from a 5 to a 5S and my 2 year contract will be up next year so I plan to Upgrade again next year to an IPhone 6!

22. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I came from a 5 to the 5S, and will go to the 6 next year.

Since I have a family plan, I, as the king of the castle, get the new phone. :D

However, this year my wife teased me a little about getting it each year. Maybe she wants the new phone for a change.

23. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

That's quite a sacrifice haha

24. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

oVerboost

Upgrading from a 5S to a 6

I went from a 5 to a 5s, just pass them down to my parents, who now have a 4s and a 5 between them, then we sell the oldest one each time which always pays the upfront costs of any upgrade (Vodafone uk).

As ever, I'll be getting a 6 if available on launch day after an early alarm and a wait in line...

25. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

You own finances should dictate what you do. I think Apple will be offering the larger 6 while still offering a new iPhone with the smaller screen for those who can not adapt.

If you have the money and want the 6 go for it.