Upgrading from a Early 2009 iMac to a 2011 iMac, Worth the Switch? Opinions?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jbowden07, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jbowden07 macrumors newbie

So at the moment i have an early 2009 20'' iMac - 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 7200rpm HDD. I haven't tried doing too much with it, just surfing the web, and the occasional Adobe Lightroom editing(sluggish to say the least). I have a custom built PC i'm using for sony vegas pro 13 / 1080p video, photoshop cs6, adobe after effects, lightroom, but i want to switch to a mac as my main machine, and spend around $600-800.

With the 2009 iMac i have Yosemite, and it beachballs between switching apps, or if to many things is running at one time. Also when watching some 1080p video on youtube, it also becomes real choppy on graphic intensive websites like tumblr and such.

Here is my question. I'm debating over myself between either a 2011 iMac 21.5'' or a 2012 iMac 21.5'' to replace my 2009 iMac and become my main machine.

• The 2011 iMac 21.5'' has upgradability (screen held by magnets), and a core i5, just like the 2012, and i'll be able to put an SSD, and upgrade the ram cheaper than paying a premium.

• The 2012 iMac 21.5'' has no upgradability, or not easily, and i can't stand the fact apple puts 5200rpm hard drives in them, which i imagine is incredibility slow. Also, to get a used one with 8gb of ram you'll have to pay extra, and no room for future upgrading.
    Which one should i get? I want it able to upgrade it some, and i want it to last at least 3 to 4 years. The 2012 is pretty with it's slim looks and usb 3.0, but is it practical for my use? OR should i upgrade my 2009 imac with an SSD (i know it has SATAII) and 8GB of Ram?

2. jerwin macrumors 65816

2GB of Ram? Good grief. When I retired my iMac 9,1 a few months ago it had the full 8 GB, upgraded by removing the access panel. It wasn't choppy, it just wasn't fast.

I never upgraded to an SSD.

But I suppose upgrading to at least 4 GB and preferably 8 GB (for photoshop and after effects) eats into your small budget for a newer machine.
    If this new machine has at least a Sandy Bridge CPU, you'll be able to use QuickSync and speed up video encodes.

USB 3.0 is very useful-- you do have external drives, don't you?