Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
I bought a dual 1.4 Ghz G4 when they came out because I needed a new computer and my original iBook SE wasn't cutting it anymore. I was excited and disappointed at the same time when the G5's came out but all of that changed today. My dad needs a new computer at his office for everyday word processing and other office chores. Needless to say it doesn't have to be too fast so he offered to swap with me. I get a new G5 and he takes my G4.

Now my problem is I bought a 160GB IDE drive for my G4 and the G5 seems to only support Serial ATA. I looked around on the internet and found a couple IDE-Serial ATA converters but they looked fairly bulky and I wasn't sure if they would fit into the G5 case or not. Also, I couldn't seem to find any PCI-X cards that where ATA/IDE controllers even though I'm sure they exist.

So if anyone knows about how to get an IDE/ATA drive to work with Serial ATA, please let me know.

Thanks

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Apple's official stance (I'm pretty sure they released a tech note on this) is that putting any kind of non-Serial-ATA drive into a G5 via an adapter cable is not recommended nor supported, and likely won't work.

(pause here for one minute to simulate the time I spent searching for this)

Here it is.

~MJS

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
The adapters won't work, but you could buy a pci controller, these work on pci-x. If you get the single cpu g5 you can put the disk on the bottom where the second cpu would be. But I'm not sure how you would get the cables from the pci zone to the harddrive or cpu zone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.