Upgrading iphone 2g $20 unlimited to 4g $30 unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by robleab, Mar 9, 2011.

1. robleab macrumors newbie

I am currently using an iphone 2g with no data plan. I am wanting to upgrade to the iphone 4g and get unlimited data for $30. I am not sure if this is possible but I planned on doing the following: Re-Activate the iphone 2g via iTunes and add the $20 unlimited data plan. Once I verify I have it, go to apple.com and upgrade to the iphone 4g and see if it allows me to select the $30 unlimited data plan. Is this possible?
    Thanks

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Pretty hard to answer, since you don't say who your carrier is.:rolleyes:
    Wouldn't it be easier to ask your carrier, to begin with?

3. robleab thread starter macrumors newbie

I am with AT&T. In what I have researched to this point, some people state that AT&T says you have to go to the limited data plans. But I have read that others say it is possible but I have yet to find a 100% yes.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just go to an AT&T store and tell them to add on the $20 unlimited plan. Show them the device.

Wait a month or the trick won't work. Go again to the same AT&T store and ask to upgrade your line and the representative will be able to to keep your grandfathered plan intact. However, at this point I'd tell you to just add the Internet plan and wait until the next iPhone since by the time you wait, the cycle is almost over for the iPhone 4.

Don't do it through Apple or you may well end up loosing your unlimited plan option because of people who abused the system.

5. robleab thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks jav6454. I am just curious but is this an assumption or do you this by first-hand experience or know someone who has accomplished this.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AT&T started cracking on people who used the 2G iPhone loophole when they scrapped the unlimited 3G plans.

As of now, the trick doesn't work. However, if you show AT&T a history with the plan then they won't take it away. This comes from stories in this very same forum on people trying to get unlimited thru the 2G loophole, making it, and then finding out they no longer have it.

7. robleab thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying to get $20 unlimited data plan but cannot

I have tried several times to get the $20 unlimited data plan for my iphone 2g but cannot get it. I went into the AT&T store and they said that I have to activate it via iTunes. I restored the iphone 2g with 3.1.2 and left my SIM in the iphone2g. When I opened iTunes, it automatically activated my iphone 2g without asking for a data plan or anything. I called AT&T and they said that the only data plans for iphones are the 200mb and 2gb and they did not differentiate between the 2g or the 3g and up iphones. Is there anyway to get the $20 unlimited data plan added to my iphone 2g? Did I not activate it via iTunes correctly? When I call AT&T, it shows that I have a blackberry Curve 8310 and they said the only plans that I can add to the BB Curve is the 200mb or the 2gb. I appreciate any help. Thanks