Upgrading iPhone 3G 8GB to 16GB...a couple of questions re. Apple ID, apps, etc.???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crunch, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Hey everyone,

So I'm in love with my iPhone 3G now, ever since OS 2.2 was released. :)

I love it so much so that I would like to get a 16GB white one. What happens to all my apps that I installed (roughly half free, half paid for)???

Also, Apple ID...What exactly is that? My email address that I signed up for??

How do I protect my multiple investments, and move them to the new iPhone 3G 16GB White?

The white one is on its way. Woohoo...In fact, I'll have it tomorrow. I've heard at least 2 stories where someone had to re-purchase his apps, etc. I would like to head into this weekend setting my new baby up. :D

Thanks so much! :)

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    As long as you sync you phone with a computer you should be fine. Also, why didn't you wait until june for the new iPhone?

3. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crunch

Excellent question. It will be sold tomorrow morning. LOL...Anyway, just sync'ing it?? That does back up all settings, etc., but not 3rd party applications??

I'm guessing the new one iPhone will come out in June/July as well, but how do you know that so definitively??

Thanks! ;)

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! Nobody knows - it's only a rumour :D

5. matttye macrumors 601

Nobody knows for sure, but the rumour mill is in full swing like it was this time last year - and a lot of the rumours were entirely accurate! I had read that the iPhone 3G was getting 3G, GPS and better speakers before it was actually released. Of course there were also rumours that didn't come to light, like a slide-out physical keyboard.

Ultimately it's up to you to decide whether you think one is going to come out, and whether it's going to be worth the upgrade for you.

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

So when the guy that's running Apple, while Jobs is out sick, states that they are on an annual hardware refresh with the iPhone - yeah it's only a rumor!

The RUMORS are what the new iPhone will actually contain hardware-wise. There is a new iPhone coming out, it will be announced in June during the WWDC with a expected release of said hardware will be in July.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

When was that? :rolleyes: Software update (OS 3.0) Yes. Hardware update? :confused:

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

NOPE! Go back and review the past Keynote videos. He states that the iPhone is on a yearly hardware refresh in two. When it comes to software, they've been releasing software updates every couple of months, not yearly!

Yes, I concede that 3.0 is a "bigger" update, though there have been software updates non-the-less since the 3G was rolled out, let alone the original. Speaking of which those updated included new features in some of them.

Honestly, why do people find that so hard to believe?

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Like when & where?
    No - not a "bigger" update - a New Update!:)