Upgrading my 1st gen 8gb phone to 16gb...Why do I need to resign another contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegeta-san, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

I just bought a 16gb iPhone to upgrade my 8gb iPhone. I was under the impression I could just put my old SIM in there and not have to get into another 2 year deal thru iTunes...But up hooking it up to my computer, it gives me the original iPhone screen I saw when I first set up my 8GB. It wont let me just send my 8gb iphone's backup information to this new 16gb iPhone....What gives? What am I doing wrong? I dont want to sign a new 2 year contract....And this is the old gen iPhone...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You are a year into your current two-year contract. You are starting another two-year contract upon the purchase of an iPhone 3G. Thus, you must end your current one and begin your new one.

It's all crap, anyway.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Put the SIM from the 8GB into the 16GB, connect to iTunes and activate it. This does not start a new, 2 year contract. All it does is activate the phone allowing it to make calls and such...

I did this same thing when I went from 4GB to 8GB.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

He's referring to a 1st generation iPhone upgrade... not 3G.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Are you sure you selected restore from backup instead of this is a new phone?

You shouldn't have to get a new contract of course. This is how everything works, like say if you get your iPhone replaced because of the warranty, you just plug your new iPhone into the computer and do the "restore from backup".

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Aha!

I have no idea, then.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes, that should work as well. But if your iPhone (8GB) and Mac were completely synced up, you don't even need to do a Restore from Backup. Just re-sync everything on your Mac to your iPhone.

8. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

How exactly did you deduce that I was hooking up a 16gb 3G iPhone to my computer????

Thanks Brnski....I'm going to post a picture of the screen I'm talking about just to make sure you and I are on the same page because I really dont want to click that button only to have to find out that my contract has been extended.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

LOL, I said the same thing to myself when I did this back in January. But, since you are not changing plans/phones and paid full price for a new handset you won't get a new plan.

10. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

I am noting some places online (like here: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/07/upgrade-to-16gb-iphone-without-changing-contract/) that they say you must use the new SIM card that was in the new iPhone instead of your old one...Is that what you did?

11. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone help me here? Please? I need step by step directions...I have attached a picture of the screen iTunes presents me with when I take the SIM card from my last iPhone and put it into the new iPhone and then the screen it presents me with when I hit "continue". What do I do from here (considering I dont want a new 2 year contract)?

Attached Files:

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

From Screenshot #1 - Hit "Continue"

From Screenshot #2 - Hit "Replace a phone on my account with this iPhone"

P.S. Make the playlist "5 Star Songs" a Smart Playlist. This way you don't need to do anything to it; it will automatically update. :)

14. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I know I'm sounding super paranoid here, but that's because I am...So you did this and DID NOT have to start a new contract? Anything else I should know?

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I did just what I said above and yes, I was thinking the same thing the entire time. Just do what I said and then login to wireless.att.com, click on My Profile (top right nav bar), then User Information.

This is what mine says after I upgraded in January:

CONTRACT INFORMATION
    Contract end date 08/16/2009

The above date is 2 years from the time I activated my 4GB... now I have an activated (locked) 8GB on the same plan.

16. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh. My. God.

"Contract end date
    06/10/2010 "

Keep in mind, i bought my original iPhone August of 2007. What do you suggest I do now?

17. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Call At&t and they can correct it. This is not the intended result. Also, make sure that you are not charged another activation fee.

You did this with the 8GB SIM card right?

Tell At&t that your original iPhone was defective and that Apple sent you a new one through their exchange program. It happens all the time as people with messed up iPhones get switched out at the Retail Stores.

18. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, I'll do that now. Thanks alot for your help man, I really appreciate it.

19. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

And yes, i did do this with the old 8GB SIM

20. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No problem, let me know how it works out. Don't say no for an answer!

Good.

21. Vegeta-san thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok dude, I basically talked to some girl named "Jaime" who said "anytime you buy a new iPhone you need to sign up for a new 2 years"....I argued with her, she said she was gonna bounce it off her manager. I said let me talk to him. He came on. "Mark Sheets" Very nice guy. I told him what you told me to tell him and he basically said it was a mistake on Apple's part and that they would rectify it for me. But he said he'd have to get back to me as its not a 10 minute thing but like a 24 hour thing because he has to go thru another department. So....he's gonna call me back in a day or two and I will keep checking online seeing if there has been an update.

22. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Just a bunch of corporate BS. What most people don't understand is that cell phone companies make ALL and I mean ALL their revenue off of the contracts. The hardware is so minimal nowadays...

With that said, I think you will be all set. Just call back tomorrow to confirm -- I mean, its out of your control if your iPhone is faulty and Apple has to give you a new one (or refurbed one), right? You still need to activate the replacement phone the same exact way.

Bottom line: I hope that it works out for you the way it did for me. Also, if this doesn't go through, just go to an At&t store and get them to roll back your contract. Make friends, not enemies.

23. meagain macrumors 68030

And what if you had your phone lost/stolen? Or bought it used? You wouldn't have to sign a 2 year contract all over again.

24. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes, maybe so. But a returned iPhone due to the "Faded Screen Issue" is out of your control and Apple would issue you a replacement on the spot. The replacement will still need to be activated the same way.

Even when I had my 4GB I dropped it within the first week and the top left corner read: "No SIM". I took it to the nearest Apple Store and they actually re-activated and then called At&t to waive the activation charge. These things happen which are totally out of At&t's control.

25. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Also... I can also confirm switching phones, along with changing your plan does not extend your contract.