Upgrading my 4S Verizon phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Sep 13, 2012.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

AeroUK

I got my 4S on Verizon last October so I am only 11 months into my contract.

I understand that I have to pay full price to upgrade.

Will I be able to do this on Verizon's website tonight?
    Also should I just order the full unlocked version from Apple.com since then it will be unlocked and easier to resell in the future...

I hope someone can shed some light on this...

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

A CDMA iPhone is not unlocked. You cannot use it on Tmobile or other GSM networks.

3. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

AeroUK

4. aneftp macrumors 601

The way Verizon and other CDMA carriers configure the CDMA settings in the iPhone 4s. There is no way to have a "true" unlocked iPhone 4s even though they are the same exact phones AT&T sells.

Gotta love CDMA restrictions.

Now getting to the iPhone 5. There are actually 3 different models of iPhone 5 this time.
    1. AT&T/Canada and forgot one other country version
    2. Sprint/Verizon other CDMA carriers who will support lte also
    3. International version that supports other lte frequencies in Europe and Asia.

While number 2 "may support gsm/wccdma/hspa". It's clearly up to individual CDMA carriers whether they want to enable gsm function for roaming.

And to fat even if Verizon were to enable gsm roaming. They will not enable gsm use for domestic gsm carriers like AT&T or tmobile USA.

5. RxMac macrumors 6502

I am in same boat, I ordered 5 on release night, full price via verizon's website.