Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sohoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
HI everyone !! so today i just went to a not-apple store and i have asked the guy if they could change the HDD of my MBP and they said that he can do and will charge me 120 $ (NZ currency) + 30$ (NZ currency) for moving all the files on the new one and changing the HDD. The new WD HDD 2'5 will cost me 158$ ( NZ currency) for 320 SaTa 7200RPM, 16MB. so in total i would pay 208$ ( NZ currency).
Which is less expensive than going to an Apple store.
But i would like to ask if I should move my files to the new HDD so it will cost me less than the actual price.

What do you guys think about it?

Thank you

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
HI everyone !! so today i just went to a not-apple store and i have asked the guy if they could change the HDD of my MBP and they said that he can do and will charge me 120 $ (NZ currency) + 30$ (NZ currency) for moving all the files on the new one and changing the HDD. The new WD HDD 2'5 will cost me 158$ ( NZ currency) for 320 SaTa 7200RPM, 16MB. so in total i would pay 208$ ( NZ currency).
Which is less expensive than going to an Apple store.
But i would like to ask if I should move my files to the new HDD so it will cost me less than the actual price.

What do you guys think about it?

Thank you

That seems quite expensive...is the place an Apple Authorized Dealer? Or Service Center?

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
I would shop around for other prices first.

Are they an Apple Certified place? If not I would look for one.

Sohoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Well the shop is not really a apple authorized dealer but i tried several shop around my city and its the cheapest shop i could find. But after a long thinking i decide it would be better to go to a retail store or authorized dealer to change my HDD even if i will spend much more money but i will be happy at the end :)

Should i ? or is there another possibility?

Thank you

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I added a 250GB hard drive to my macbook pro, i would not recommend it for someone who has little knowledge about computer components. I used a guide which showed me step b step pictures, if would recommend you google a few guides. You do not need to pay someone to do it if you take your time and be extra careful, it will take about 40 mins but i recommend you take over 1 hour.

I changed a hard drive for a friend who had a macbook that only takes 5 mins.

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
If you are comfortable with opening up the computer your self, then you should, it by far the cheapest option, if not, then i would only go to an apple certified store or and apple retail store to get it changed. It wont void your warranty and if they damage it, it is on their hands

Sohoy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Thanks for the replies, i know that i can possibly change it by myself but i am scared of making a mistake to my MBP so i prefer to pay and to get my new HDD done than me having troubles with my MBP ( in case i make a mistake :O ).

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.