Upgrading my MacBook Pro to Kingston V+100 96GB SSD - any experience?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shaun.P, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I ordered the Kingston V+100 96GB SSD drive yesterday from Amazon. I heard that from a compatibility point of view, it is the best drive because it using the Toshiba controller that Apple uses in its computers with SSDs pre-installed.

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to this drive and would be able to tell me how much of a performance difference I will get?

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz. I recently upgrading to 8GB RAM and the computer has the stock 320GB hard drive.

Can't wait to get it - it should be here Tuesday!

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It is a good SSD but given you have a 2011, if the price was the same, I would have purchased a SATA3 (6.0) SSD given that the Kingston will only run at half the computer's theoretical maximum data transfer speed.

For at least now, it won't make a huge difference depending on the individual type of SSD, at least for most users. And yes, it is a pretty decent drive and one of good value, so if you got it for a good price, then heck yeah!

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I managed to snag it for £90 / $148 including taxes.

Can't wait for it to arrive! I didn't want to spend too much money due to how fast SSD technology is progressing. I thought this would be a good place to start without spending too much money. It seems to be a relatively feature rich drive with long term performance compared to some other drives.

I'll let you all know how I get on once it arrives - including some timing comparisons.

This might be a stupid question - but am I still formatting the drive as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive?

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes.

6. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Thank you! I'll report back with some stats.

Is there anything in particular anybody would like me to compare between my current and new drive?

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Boot time from pressing power button to desktop with Wi-Fi connection. Enable auto login.
    And run some benchmarks, too. I have been considering getting this drive as well. :)

8. oButto macrumors member

Found a deal for $180 after a $40 mail in rebate for a 128gb v100 in microcenter. Does it run w/o any problems? Getting my macbook pro and the SSD tomorrow :)

9. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

V100 model is different from the V+100 model that I've purchased. Also, I haven't received the drive yet.