Upgrading My Macbook to 4gb RAM and 500gb HD what should i get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nocturnal22, May 21, 2009.

1. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Im thinking of getting the 4gb kit crucial from Newegg for 58 dollars. And either the Seagate Momentus or WD Scorpio Blue 500gb 5400rpm on both dont want 7200. So what should I get? Seagate or WD? And why thanks i want to order today.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I'm a WD devotee myself. Have a 250GB external, a 1TB MyBook external and another 500GB drive of theirs at home that my family uses. They're reliable and have served me well over the years! So a vote for WD from me.

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Everything that I've ever read about and also had a few friends get the WD for their PS3 and haven't looked back. I know that for the cost I would get one until the SSD units evolve a bit more and I'm thinking about getting one when I get my 17" MBP in June.

4. Yodgee macrumors member

5. glassx macrumors member

i got the 4GB mushkin kit, no problems at all and got a good deal on a 500GB maxtor(seagate) external which i opened up and swapped disks with my 250GB every thing works perfectly

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I hear that the 500GB WD drive is a good performer. I would get that one.

7. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I have a WD 1Tb My Book that I use as my primary backup disk via Time Machine. Works perfectly And another portable disk, 250 Gb, always WD, which I use for back up on the road.

+1 for WD here.

8. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

Wd

I have the WD Scorpio Blue 500gb 5400rpm & it works great....I just bought another for my girlfriend's mb.

9. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

I bought a seagate

I purchased a seagate 500gb 5200 rpm drive for my mac mini and could not be happier. It is fast and silent and runs a few degrees cooler than the stock drive. Currently I am not aware of Seagate or Western digital having any mass failures or problems with the 2.5" 500gb 5200 rpm drives. I would buy which ever one you can get the best price on.

If you are looking to eek out every last bit of performance look up the performance of the drives on sites like toms hardware. Seeing that you are going to put it in a notebook I think I would stick with 5200 rpm but a 7200 rpm of the same size will usually be faster but also has more noise heat and vibration.

My favorite places to buy are New Egg and Owc. Usually New Egg has best price and good customer service. Owc is sometimes higher but they love the Mac and have good knowledge about it.

Hope this helps.
    Jim

10. lostime macrumors regular

I ordered my 4gb 500gb (Samsung) HD from OWC on release day of the Unibody Macbook/Pros.

I have not had any problems with the hard drive but the memory has given me some trouble. My screen would freeze and OSX would lock up while playing Quicktime or Itunes movies.

I would recommend the Samsung hard drive but at least not the batch or 2gb cards I got from OWC.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Do you actually need 4GB RAM?

I'm quite a heavy user and have been perfectly fine for the past couple of years with just 2GB. Check Activity Monitor to find out if you are actually in need of the extra RAM because if you add it and you were only using 1.5GB or 1GB before then you won't see any performance improvement whatsoever.

12. Nocturnal22 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont know Not sure im starting to kinda use photoshop and i kinda just want to upgrade. Plus getting ready for snowleopard

13. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

That's what I have. It works great. Newegg has WD and Crucial ram too.

14. JavierP macrumors regular

You can tweak how much RAM is used for disk cache, I have 4Gb and 2Gb aprox are used for disk cache (I never reboot my MBP). Everything is faster, I think it's worth the 70$, I paid for the extra RAM.

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...neiltec13 I miss your old avatar:D