Upgrading on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kermie, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Kermie macrumors newbie

So I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Verizon and am hoping to upgrade to the iPhone 5S next Friday. My individual, unlimited data contract end date is July of 2014. I only use 2-3 GB of data a month so I don't really care about losing unlimited, however it would be nice to take advantage of the Max program and get 6GB a month.

I don't want to pay full price for the phone, however, chatting online w/ a Verizon CSR yesterday said I'm not eligible to upgrade until my 2-year contract is up in July of next year.

Does anyone have any idea or have any loopholes on how I could upgrade w/o paying full price or paying for early termination? I was thinking about maybe going to the local Verizon store in the hopes that they would be more lenient, but if anybody has any ideas, I'm open!

2. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

unfortunately they won't budge as the subsidies hurt their profits big time. the only ways to get them to pull favors is by either playing mr nice guy or playing hard (threatening to leave).

i buy my phones now on eBay to avoid losing unlimited data. now that the 5C and 5S are coming out, the regular 5 prices have plummeted. i grabbed an iPhone 5 64GB for $528 w/ 2 cases, 2 lightning cables, and charger. overpaying for the phone vs what i could have bought the 5C or 5S for with a subsidy, is worth it in my opinion to keep unlimited data. i use 6-10GB per month on 3G with my 4S.

i needed to jump to LTE because verizon's 3G network has gone to shiiittt. i used to get about 2-2.5Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. now i get about 0.75Mbps down max, and 0.2Mbps up. verizon claims i am not being throttled, my account has not been flagged, they said this is just due to network congestion. BS. they were hoping i would buy the iPhone 5 with a subsidy to lose unlimited data.

too bad, i bought my phone elsewhere so i'll have unlimited LTE. i'll likely be using about 20GB per month now