Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
Is it possible to upgrade to the powerbook keyboard with backlighting? Could I just drop it in and it will work or is there something else that is needed?

iceTrX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Outside of Detroit.
jackieonasses said:
i think that would be to much trouble/money for what it's worth..

I was thinking the same thing but I think the backlight keyboard would be really cool, even though functionality wise I don't need it. I use the home keys and don't look at the keyboard. ;)

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I'm almost positive that the backlit keyboard also makes use of a seperate power tansformer located within the PB. PB's without a backlit keyboard do not have this transformer, so you'd have to put one in, which means cracking open the case, voiding your warranty, and other unnecessary/dangerous/costly issues.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I've noticed though, that the keys on my Rev A 12" PB are transparent. If such a transformer were installed, I think it would work just fine.

No? :confused: (Voiding warrantee & all that aside.)

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I've taken my Powerbook apart to upgrade the hard drive, and there are two cables that I disconnected when I took out the keyboard. I assume that one was for the keyboard, and one for the backlighting. The only way for you to know if it'll work is to give it a shot. If your powerbook does have this extra connector for the backlighting, then it should work. But there is a chance they didn't include it, or left the ambient light sensor out.

Lee Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.