Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Late 2011 MacBookPro8,3 (OS X 10.7.5 pre-loaded) 17"
I recently downloaded a clean version of OS X Lion 10.7.5 thru Internet Recovery; now, I'd like to upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.2. I've backed up my data...What steps are next to upgrade pre-loaded OS X Lion 10.7.5 to Yosemite 10.10.2?

Thanks!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Assuming this isn't a trick question, I'd say go to the App store, log in and download Yosemite.
It's a good idea to save the downloaded install file (found in your Application folder) to a safe place because it will be auto deleted when the install is finished.
Now just run the install app, sit back and wait till it's done.

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Assuming this isn't a trick question, I'd say go to the App store, log in and download Yosemite.
It's a good idea to save the downloaded install file (found in your Application folder) to a safe place because it will be auto deleted when the install is finished.
Now just run the install app, sit back and wait till it's done.
Not a trick question, thanks!
I hope this isn't a stupid question :eek: but how do I save the downloaded install file, if it will be auto deleted when the install is finished?

Last edited:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Not a trick question, thanks!
I hope this isn't a stupid question :eek: but how do I save the downloaded install file, if it will be auto deleted when the install is finished?

I should have said "make a copy of" the download install file'

When you download yosemite it will want to start installing right off.
Quit the install, make your copy and when that's done you can run the installer from your Applications Folder to complete your upgrade.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ What steps are next to upgrade pre-loaded OS X Lion 10.7.5 to Yosemite 10.10.2? ]]

One IMPORTANT step you've probably not considered:
Install an SSD -before- you install Yosemite.

If you don't do this, I sense you may be somewhat displeased at the overall speed and performance you get from the Macbook afterwards...

b2387692

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
Thanks!
Recently upgraded to SSD but I never created an Apple ID and I didn't need an one, when I re-downloaded and installed a clean version of OS X Lion 10.7.5 for my MBP thru Internet recovery but apparently, I need an Apple ID to upgrade to Yosemite.

Some have suggested one Apple ID per devices and accounts is what I want. That said, and with "Future Proofing" for family or small business in mind, I found this article entitled "Best Practices for Creating Apple IDs" (https://forgetcomputers.zendesk.com/...ting-Apple-IDs), which states "...Managing your own Apple ID across a few devices is not very complicated, but how does an organization with several — maybe several thousand — iOS devices handle Apple IDs? Specifically, what is the best way to create and manage these Apple IDs?

In an organization (or family) with several devices, it's tempting to create a single Apple ID and share it across many devices. Although this seems like the easiest and most controlled way to deploy, it will not work to try to associate more than 10 devices with a single Apple ID (unless you are using Apple Configurator). The absolute best way is to assign each device a unique Apple ID (ipad01@yourdomain.com, ipad02@yourdomain.com, or name1@yourdomain.com, name2@yourdomain.com)...

... You'll need to manually verify each new account through an email link sent from Apple so create one real email address (ios-master@yourdomain) and alias all the other accounts (ipad01@yourdomain.com, ipad02@yourdomain.com) to this address so all communication from Apple arrives at one account. (Remember to setup these aliases before creating the Apple IDs.)"

Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.