upgrading SSD and more ram, should I wait till all my bits have arrived to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shenfrey, Dec 20, 2012.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Or should I upgrade as and when? I have an optibay arriving tomorrow for my HDD and my SSD has already arrived, the ram however hasn't been ordered yet, so should I wait till I finally get my ram before I start opening up my mac or should I wait and do it all at once?

Thanks guys

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

If it was me I would upgrade as I get the parts rather than waiting till I have everything. It doesn't take long to get the bottom panel off a MBP (just make sure you have a piece of A4 paper or an equivalent to put the screws on in the same positions they were on the Mac so you put them back on correctly).

Also I'm way to impatient to have a SSD just sat there :)

3. BeeJee macrumors 6502

^^^I'm with this guy, the SSD and optibay take longer than doing a RAM swap anywho. So I'd just get it done, the RAM upgrade should take you like all of three minutes total.

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah, I would upgrade as I get my stuff.
    Plus, doing it faster can make sure the parts you received works.
    If there was a defect, faster the better to send it back.

Some people are lazy that they dont want to open their MBP over and over.
    But thats their preference and I dont mind doing that.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

+1 to yusukaeoki

upgrade as soon as you can. Returning parts it in the first 2 weeks is way less painful than RMA later and it counts as soon as the package is arrived. There is no point in waiting unless you are lazy and only want to do it once but then starting this thread was almost as much work as opening the backpanel.

6. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

I pretty much just installed the bits as they arrived.

Besides, the more you do it, the more familiar you get with your MBP!

7. amit715 macrumors member

wait until you get everything so you dont have to keep removing the back panel ....the ssd upgrade will take some time maybe 20min depending on your skills lol but the ram is like 2-3 min